No announcement yet.

August 2016 finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to ring up DJ Flash Harry and book him for a traffic lights extravaganza in my back garden
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

• Nice pull on the DJ Jinx. I remember when that used to go for a oner. Calmed down to about £50 for near minter now.

Comment

• I'm a member of a Facebook group, roughly called We Love Records. Regularly you see Finds posts, from record shops, car boot sales, charity shops and so on, like here. Sometimes you small something fishy, when someone visits the same charity shop a few times a week, amazing finds each time. Another twist is the I Visited An Old Lady routine. Basically, they chatted up an old lady at the car boot sale, or got reply from flyers.
        So, yesterday it happened to me. Well, I can't call her an old lady and get away with it, as she's my wife's sister. Then again, my wife might approve...
        We visited her, and as we were leaving she suddenly remembered she had some records for me that she found in a box. I just checked a few in the top of the pile, saw some Sabbath/Floyd and thought this would yield some good trade material. Apparently left behind by her ex husband and dragged around for a few moves.
        It wasnt until our next stop, my mother's a bit up north I got a chance to check out the pile. And I found this:

It's Resan, one of the grails of progg. It's been reissued but I never saw an OG in the wild. It's rather good, but maybe not the pinnacle of progg. Some of these records att more noted for the scarceity.
        Partly, my reason for visiting my mother was that there was an antique /collector market on today in town. Never been before, but figured there could be some records. There was, mostly overpriced tat, but found a stall with some interesting stuff. I've had a thing for John Kongos for a while, so I had to have this at 15£. Maybe it's common in UK, but I've never seen it here. I really like it.

Also found a box of cheap 45s to make a few punts.

Crabby Appleton has a good B-Side, Try.
        Flavoured Soul is Swedish 1971 soul funk, seems sought after but doesnt hit it for me.
        Seen a lot of Peddlers here, so I thought I needed to check this out, espec with a Swedish Ps. Again, the B-Side wins, Steel Mill is a great instrumental.
        ------------------------------------------------------
        "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by pgofton View Post
          Amazing to find this in a UK shop. I love this LP. Well done...

Comment

• Originally posted by cratedigger View Post
            I've had a thing for John Kongos for a while, so I had to have this at 15£. Maybe it's common in UK, but I've never seen it here. I really like it.

I wouldn't say it's common- I'd pay £15 for one.
            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

• Representative from the last few weeks charity shop and car boot trawling. It's not getting any easier out there.

Bob Florence Big Band – Westlake. The big band sound is growing on me. This actually has a lot of west coast mellowing and holds it own on the turntable. Joins Lorez Alexandria and Lisa Rich in my small but satisfying collection of albums on the Discovery label.

Nancy Wilson - Lush Life
              . I had not seen this album in a field before but weirdly on the very next seller had an original for sale, not in very good nick though. So quite happy with this reissue for 50p.

The Mason Williams Phonograph Record. Something deep in the back of my memory told me that Classical Gas was atypical of Mason's output. This album certainly cements that. Completely and utterly of its time but a definite keeper despite a couple of wrong turns.

Afro Rock Festival. The two Osibisa tracks on this were lifted from their first single and are ace. I put this on with my son in the other room and waited to see if his ears pricked up. It took him two mintues of the first Osibisa track before enquiring what it was (he is very partial to afro rock and funk).

A charity shop had a batch of some very mouldy records. There were about 10 in the box, these were 4 I bought. They were the leftovers it would seem. 50p each I was told because of the mould, I enquired if there had been more to be told had been about 40 or 50. I wonder what I missed, and why did I ask the question.

King Errisson – LA Bound. Mould not really in evidence. Percussion heavy Disco jazz-funk business. OK I suppose.

Ronn Matlock. Not really any mould at all. I had never heard heard of Ronn. Comes across as a smoother Barry White, late 70s, Modern Soul l suppose it would be classed as now. Has some interest from the groove collectors it would seem for a couple of tracks but I am liking the whole album – a lot.

Al Green - Living For You, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles – A Pocket Full of Miracles. These were very very mouldy. I risked my health and set myself a challenge to see if I could recover the vinyl, Labels were completely covered by mouldy inner and outer sleeve remains, vinyl similar. The covers were beyond redemption. An initial clean has made them easily playable and some more attention should elevate the vinyl at least to EX. I know, why did I bother? It is not as if they are rare, and they are sleeveless. Because I can't stand to see vinyl by artists left in such a state as they were. They needed saving.

I really didn't need these but I just can't stop myself, part 96:

Level 42 – The Early Tapes. Was partial to old thunderthumbs and his crew in the early days. This is from their very early Elite days an essential label for Brit Funk lovers.

(US) Motown Chartbusters Vol 1. Believe it or not I had never seen a US Chartbusters album before, and it has a shiny cover, and I found it a place that almost never has any records.

Defunkt – Thermo Nuclear Sweat
              . Remember a Defunkt track on a compilation album I had back in the early 80s. Enough reason to try this. Not listened yet.

Capitol Soul Special. Compilation sampler which I must have passed on a few times down the years, as I have a couple tracks already. But I'm glad I got this one good listen throughout (apart from Rance Allen, but I was expecting that!). Takes me back.

I really didn't need these but I just can't stop myself, part 97:

Jack Sheldon – Ooo But It's Good. I really must pay more attention. Thought this was jazz, but it's a comedy record about jazz.

Mighty Clouds Of Joy – It's Time. Disappointing. Straight to the out box.

Morrissey Mullen – Life On The Wire
              . Another stroll down Brit Jazz-Funk nostalgia lane.

It's All Platinum. Another comp I must have passed on a few time before. Nostalgia took hold again. This is a sold album and has held up very well I think. Includes Larry Saunders On The Real Side and Rimshots Who Got The Monster.

Bought a box of about 50 albums and 12” for a fiver. Couldn't leave them many were in excellent condition. Albums were common rock/pop mostly and will be blatant flippage for small profit. The 12s mostly filled gaps in the collection.

e.g.
              Squeeze – East Side Story.
              Funkadelic- One Nation Under A Groove
              Isley Jasper Isley – Caravan of Love

(Served on a bed of Atlantic - Portuguese - shells)

Singles have been very thin on the ground lately. I was happy to find these for 20p each amongst a few boxes of mainly 60s and 70s pop. (Picked up a few of those as well- Troggs and Hollies collection slowly growing as I find them).

Dr John – Right Place Wrong Time. No introduction necessary I'm sure. But nice to find this on a big A.

Betty Wright – Let Me Be Your Lovemaker
              . Big fan of Betty. Raw and funky. Bonus scream from her at the end of this one. I have this on Alston already but there is something special about non Motown Soul artists on UK labels. You know they generally would have sold in very small numbers so finding them is always a thrill.

Comment

• the best one from a job lot, its a spare if you need holler

Comment

• Brief dig today.

Had a good few weeks finding exploitation classics. This is JJ Cale (or John J Cale as he was then), covering the Byrds, Yardbirds, Dylan and The Association, cash in hand.

Arica, S/T. Sort of spiritual/free jazz thing, with some new age overtones. reminds me a bit of the Aboriginal Music Ensemble. Might trade as I'm not 100% on it.

Also, my OCD got the better of me in the library section and I had to put all the KPMs and Brutons together. Didn't get a chance with the De Wolfes and Chappells yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by pgofton View Post
                    My copy of Blue Wing Console ‎came out of that rack, with the lesser seen proper sleeve.
                    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

• Never heard of that 'Resan' crate, gonna have to check that out. Will let you know if I think it has good Prog cred! Subliminal Sounds reissued it in 2012 it seems but I don't see any for sale, OG's I mean.
                      Last edited by amidar; 23-08-2016, 05:17 PM. Reason: subliminal
                      Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

• Originally posted by amidar View Post
                        Never heard of that 'Resan' crate, gonna have to check that out. Will let you know if I think it has good Prog cred! Subliminal Sounds reissued it in 2012 it seems but I don't see any for sale, OG's I mean.
                        No. From what I've understood it is hardly ever up for sale.
                        Funny thing is, there was a price sticker on the back showing it was bought at half price sale at a coop department store.
                        ------------------------------------------------------
                        "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

• Found a decent download. I know its up on YouTube but its perked my interest I'd like to hear a half decent copy.

Originally posted by cratedigger View Post
                          No. From what I've understood it is hardly ever up for sale.
                          Funny thing is, there was a price sticker on the back showing it was bought at half price sale at a coop department store.
                          Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

• I take it that an Ooooof is in order for the Rendell/Carr.

I have a different Arica - only two really solid tracks. Accordingly I paid heed when a fellow board member was lukewarm about another Arica (possibly that one). I remain mildly curious about it.

Comment

• I don't post much in the finds thread, because I don't find that much.

I'm more of a buyer I suppose.

But very chuffed to get these two privately pressed belgian rarities.

Vacation is some proto stoner/hard rock. With some good guitar playing and riffs. Vocals are horrible though and it's a live recording with the volumes fluctuating.

Bar is folkprog with country touches sung in German, French and English. Not my cup of tea, so up for trade.

I also put this in the matchmaker thread, but I don't know if many people watch that, so, I also found a Black Sabbath Paranoid first UK vertigo press, but without the sleeve - so if anyone has a sleeve (with Big Bear credit on the inside of the gatefold), that would be really sweet

Comment

• Originally posted by bennyboy View Post

My favourite charity shop reopened after a short break recently. Grabbed a few bits but this was the top find, Errol Dunkley on Arawak with the excellently named Dreadful Julio on dubbed out harp for 33p.

Great to see one of my all time favourite reggae tunes turn up in a charity shop - it cost more than 33p when it first came out in early 1978...

Comment

Working...
                                X