Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September 2016 find

Recent discoggery:

Laura (Yager) - Comin' Apart - not surprised it's got a drill hole with that awful cover. Recommended by a few people on here a while back, great version of "Love Song", not played the rest yet
    Dick Schory - Music for Bang, Baaroom and Harp
    couple on Tangent: Shetland Fiddle Music and Isla St. Clair - watched "The Song and The Story" TV series back in the early 80s (82?) and later pinched my sister's LP, so grown up with her voice. It suffers a bit from the jaunty Steeleye Span 80s backing in places. Not played this yet, hope the '71 date is good sign.
    Luisa - Nuestro Recuerdo / La Bella Durmiente - nice Spanish 45 recommendation from BBOB on the BINs

Popped out early to the local bootsale in a car park. Often has no records at all, today a couple of stalls with unsellable junk, although this King country 45 on London was nestling amongst some Pat Boones. Hawkshaw Hawkins - Lonesome 7-7203 - it's ok, was hoping for a train song, but it's a phone number. It was a number 1 on the US country chart although the fact that he died three days after recording it (in the same plane crash as Patsy Cline and Cowboy Copas) might have helped there.
    Then onto a usually dry charity shop where the records are stored in the spaces in a cast iron radiator (never turned on luckily)
    John Zorn - Spillane - bought to flip or trade really. Has 3 pieces, including one with Albert Collins and one with turntables and string quartet
    Peter Moffitt - Zoe's Song - 80s piano-y jazz. the Analogue synth resting on top of his piano on the cover looked promising but doesn't seem to deliver
    Planet P - early 80s rock with synths on Geffen. I wish these things had more synth and less rock
    Mikis Theodorakis - I Yitonia Ton Angelon - looked interesting and sounded fairly interesting from a needle drop

various vinyl finds over the last week or so

I won this in a mixed lot at a local auction, there were other nice bits in the box but this was the funkiest by far

A w/l private press with flute/folk/choirs, I couldn't find any other info on it like date or label so a bit of a mystery

This is the 3rd one I have in this Occultia series, with a bit of luck/stars in allignment etc I may find the other 9

This French disc was in with the auction lot, a 10" disc in a 12" sleeve and a fancy tri-fold sleeve,
    this is the first diseased organs record I have ever come across, errrrr....

A car boot turned up a pile of flexi-discs in an envelope which included the debut release by Rolf Harris from 1959

along with 4 copies of a promo gatefold sleeved clear square flexi by the Humph

Best find of the week was this 25p gem which was only in VG condition with a cracking B side

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
      Recent discoggery:

As I found no records in Italy last month I treated myself to a few things from Discogs in recent days, including this big James Karminsky spin at Club Indigo circa 1994:

"Milton Rogers" being a ficticious character no doubt as "palm canyon drive" is actually a Hugo Montenegro track:

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post

This French disc was in with the auction lot, a 10" disc in a 12" sleeve and a fancy tri-fold sleeve,
        this is the first diseased organs record I have ever come across, errrrr....
        This is quite an artefact.
        Is it spoken word only or is there music on it?
        Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Originally posted by Milesago View Post
          This is quite an artefact.
          Is it spoken word only or is there music on it?
          all spoken word I'm afraid, and in French
          The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Then onto a usually dry charity shop where the records are stored in the spaces in a cast iron radiator (never turned on luckily)
            The number of charity shops that keep records by a (heated) heater/radiator worries me. I usually mention it to them, often to be met by confusion from whomever's working there. Still, if you want a ready supply of warped vinyl for your clocks or fruit bowls, you know where to look!

Comment

The number of charity shops that keep records by a (heated) heater/radiator worries me. I usually mention it to them, often to be met by confusion from whomever's working there. Still, if you want a ready supply of warped vinyl for your clocks or fruit bowls, you know where to look!

Comment

Just remembered the real find of the day - a copy of Kensington NOT with the records but on display on the shelf with the games!!!

Can't recall ever seeing that before. Have moved a fair few copies out of record boxes over the years, but this looked deliberately placed there by the shop

Comment

My local market has about 10 or so copies of Kensington now stored with his books after his attempted vinyl sort (its a mess again!).

I know a shop selling that 'Aquarius' album HG. I should buy it as its my star sign but they charge 2 quid odd a record and I usually find richer pickings in that town. Maybe one day I'll go wont find anything think 'I'll buy that Tarot album' to go with my 'Maurice Woodruff - Capricorn' one and it will gone!
                  Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Last Post prompted me to visit the market and drop him off a pile of records in return I fished this odd assortment out. :

First up lots of children's records, spoken word etc to sample. The unmarked one was from an 8 record set complete with tiny rolls of film telling the story of music through the ages. I'd fished out the last disk on a previous visit as I didn't fancy a trip too far back in time for 7 records worth and the whole thing was in terrible condition, still an oddity. :

[IMG][/IMG]

Next up some mostly non UK finds. The Supraphon is folk and pretty bad, listening now, well it has some little pieces on it seemingly played on ethinc like instruments but also twins this with a classical string section which ruins it. Still there are a few of snippets I might use out of context.

'The Milord's' are obviously a house band of some Spanish hotel in the lates 60's 70's. This one started of really promising with some wah wah guitar then was up and down from there from dour covers of 'Viva Espana' to better(ish) in a cheesy way versions of 'Beautiful Sunday' and 'El Bimbo. The thing is they are quite tight and have quite an alluring grungy organ sound. Record needs a good clean though. :

[IMG][/IMG]

I already have the Quad of 'Hammond hits the Highway' might as well have the Stereo one. :

[IMG][/IMG]

These were the rest minus a Stan Butcher Ballroom record on Gemini, don't ask me... :

[IMG][/IMG]

Obviously a lot to go through will update if I find a gem.
                    Last edited by amidar; 06-09-2016, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Isn't Hammond Hits the Highway a stinker? Could have saved some cash there to go for the big money £2 records

Need to sort out my Satie LPs but I have that one and mine has one of those Penguin or Gramophone stickers recommending it, so probably not a bad recording to keep of some of his most famous stuff if you don't already have them.
                      That Supraphon sleeve is just a generic one, seems like the Czech market often just got these generic sleeves, with the overseas buyers getting the fancier ones produced for Export. There are some early (late 50s/early 60s) folk records on Supraphon that are disappointing, too orchestral.

What's Narvel (?) Felts like? Is that a Dobie Gray cover?

Comment

Originally posted by amidar View Post

'The Milord's' are obviously a house band of some Spanish hotel in the lates 60's 70's. This one started of really promising with some wah wah guitar then was up and down from there from dour covers of 'Viva Espana' to better(ish) in a cheesy way versions of 'Beautiful Sunday' and 'El Bimbo. The thing is they are quite tight and have quite an alluring grungy organ sound. Record needs a good clean though. :

El Bimbo would place it about 74-75.
                        Milord's is a hotel chain, and this bunch seem to hail from Tarragona according to this signed postcard.

Excellent cover. I'm a big fan of Spanish 70s hotel architecture and stacks of brutalist cubicles in paradise.
                        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post

Excellent cover. I'm a big fan of Spanish 70s hotel architecture and stacks of brutalist cubicles in paradise.
                          You might then enjoy this year's Summer Pavilion at the Serpentine Gallery BC - went to take a look last week:

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
                            Beautiful. Just needs a pool, a beach and an arrow pointing to the sixth floor saying "OUR ROOM!"
                            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Cheers for the info BC, I did think the name related to a Hotel from quick google. I forgot to mention the architecture looking like something from Soviet Russia or 1970's Hulme. In small lettering on the rear it says 1975 so your'e pretty bang on.

There was another record on the same label I almost picked up but I've had one of his before and it was just straight hammond even advertised on the back of the 'Milord's' which made me remember (probably came from the same 70's holidaymakers) I should have grabbed it for the cover alone, oh well no one but me will pick it up. :

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                              El Bimbo would place it about 74-75.
                              Milord's is a hotel chain, and this bunch seem to hail from Tarragona according to this signed postcard.

Last edited by amidar; 07-09-2016, 04:07 PM. Reason: spelling.

Comment

Working...
                              X