October 2016 Finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• October 2016 Finds

New stock in some chazzas after I have given them a rest for a few weeks due to holiday. Not much to report, but happy with what I have brought home.

The Flinstones original soundtracks The Snorkasaurus / The Big Bank Robbery.
    Yabba Dabba Doo! Included in the credits the characters Perry Masonry (attorney at law) and Pebble Bleach (pretty blonde).

Chill Town Heavyweight 3 Love these unofficial comps. All killer no filler usually. This one doesn't disappoint (it was on the turntable so couldn't make an appearance in the pic!).

Bosworth Record vinyl 78s (at least I asume they are). After some research I now know more about Bosworth Music. Library records then. I can find very little references to their early 60s vinyl 10" 78s though. A bit puzzled by the French text on the label.

The Bosworth Orchestra - Construction Site / Business As Usual / Everlasting Joy.

The Bosworth Orchestra - Waters Of The Deep / Ocean Wide.

I haven't dug out the 78 player to listen yet but the previous owner had helpfully scribbled some descriptions on the sleeves:

Construction Site - "we have used this". I wonder who "we" were?
    Business As Usual: "chatty, informal - lively"
    Everlasting Joy - "church bells throughout, full orchestra, almost hymn like". The church bells swung me.
    Waters Of The Deep - "quiet pastoral type"
    Ocean Wide - "dramatic - from sea movie". I think that's what it says anyway.

In mint condition.

Anybody shed any more light on these? They don't appear to have any established worth. 78 being the problem I guess and the early date i.e. not late 60s and unlikely to contain anything approaching jazz or beats unlike their later 60s/70s LPs ?

I dipped my toe in the water with these, there were more.

7"s of pleasure picked up from a misty field in Northants at 7am (I was a bit late!)

This pressed all my buttons and is a pretty catchy tune that Chas & Dave would have been proud of : download

A woman who has been clearing out her husbands vinyl for quite a while at the boots now turned up
    with lots of boxes of LP's which most folks fell on, but I went for the singles. I don't think I missed much
    with the albums, there were some Reggae but they were very tatty so I was happy at £3 for these demos.

odds 'n' ends

1982 EP

OK for a quid

Released to celebrate Spurs FA Cup final (going on to win 1:0 against QPR after replay) in 1982, the gold flexi is a nice extra.

Released to celebrate Shrewbury winning Division 3 and The Welsh Cup in 1979

Great label + sleeve

This instrumental version of The Who tune went top 40 in America but this UK issue fell flat

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by candiman View Post
      I do know that is the very first Flintstones record which used the original TV soundtrack. I was reading about it recently. here were some re-recorded versions which were released before. This one:

I very much like stone age characters.

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by candiman View Post
        Anybody shed any more light on these? They don't appear to have any established worth. 78 being the problem I guess and the early date i.e. not late 60s and unlikely to contain anything approaching jazz or beats unlike their later 60s/70s LPs ?
        The 78s were still being made as late as 1968 - I was hipped to a 1966 Radiophonics one on Chappell, although the chances of it showing up anywhere but online here are nil. Not sure if they're worth much but the more beaty looking ones may be worth having simply for the novelty.

Comment

You'll need to double check, but I read that the 60s library 78s are microgroove so need an LP/45 stylus - a normal 78 stylus would be too big and damage them. The damage is true vice versa as well so need to find out somehow...

Comment

Also "Frak!" remember that being very hard. Once you got through the levels you had to do them again upside down but I never got that far

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
              You'll need to double check, but I read that the 60s library 78s are microgroove so need an LP/45 stylus - a normal 78 stylus would be too big and damage them. The damage is true vice versa as well so need to find out somehow...
              Thanks. They do look microgroove. Maybe I will go and buy another one (if they are still there of course) that looks less interesting and experiment with that one first.

Comment

Also "Frak!" remember that being very hard. Once you got through the levels you had to do them again upside down but I never got that far
                ???

Comment

Haha, I remember turning the TV upside down. It may have been for this game as a certainly remember playing it a lot. It made the colours wonky for some reason though.
                  "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                  and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Pleased to find a copy of this which is a sort of companion to the 'Rifi' LP. Tassel and booklet intact.

Also I've been looking for a cheap copy of the 'Stereotyping' EP, by Jam Today, and just found one. Nice Jazzy little record which, I think, has 1981 written all over it- but that's no bad thing. Less than ten quid for the pair so I think I did okay, for a change.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

A bit of a round up. Sorry for the long post. From the usual variety of sources.

Here's some LPs I found.

Clara Ward was a pound box punt and there's a couple of nice tracks on it including a pretty funky 'California dreaming'
                      Dutch Rhythm etc another pound punt. The LP before this has the great Neil Young cover on it amongst other nice moments. This one is nowhere near as good but I like the title track.
                      Minnie from a charity shop. Won't be a keeper but couldn't leave it. Holler of you want it.
                      Hawaiian S2S I've never seen before with some unusual cover choices - not listened yet. Probably fuzward bound.
                      Whisky Stephen's marvellous comp. recommended.
                      Gary Walker & the Rain spare of this cheeky boot of the super rare and very good psych LP.
                      Country private press. Probably a shitter but went for it as it has synths on it. Not listened yet.
                      Kak reissue out of a £3 box? Why not.
                      Ace Düsseldorf comp included to make up the numbers.

45s to follow.
                      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Yes we can can

Whooo yeah!

Fuzzy mod pop

Nice garage stomper

Not THEE version but still a decent psych head swirler

Decent edgy UK beat

On the freakbeat cusp

Catchy garage fuzz

UK'd up!

Funky instro cheapie

The Who were familiar with this one!

Aie is the bombastic track on here.

Ace and strange!

Frat rocker.

Nabbed to hear the 'switchblade' version of 'the witch' and to get 'have love will travel' on a 45.

Nice version

Great psychy pop

Snotty pissed off Canadian garage

Great US copy of a scarce and excellenr U.K. Freakbeat tune.

Good 2 sider from the bloke with the pumping piano!

Funky hard rock. A Sarge spin.

Radiophonics related theme-ery

Classic fuzzy RnB early bee fart

Booker T should have sued - fun though

Nice skinhead reggae

See above

50p Barry White production punt turns out to be a decent northern 45

A bit of classic soul

The fabs go northern

Funky UK soul mod mover.

Long sold out soul reiss found languishing in a record shop box for original release price rather than the subsequent daft discogs prices.

Completes my Raves collection. Yep. All 3 45s.

Funky eastern pop psych thing. A big Towny spin.

Comment

That Raves is fantastic, as are their other 2. Love the Samurai too, though Temple Of Gold, released in the UK at the time is possibly even better.

Comment

Anyone claimed the Gary Walker yet Lee?
                            I was looking at the Dusseldorf comp when it came out, but like so many things it slipped off the radar.
                            The Dutch Rhythm Steel & Show band lp you speak of would have passed me by completely if it hadn;t been shoved into my hand with a confident "just buy it" instruction. Glad I did.
                            Ah! The Lemonade Kid Classic SF tunes
                            There's more?
                            Just spotted the 45s! Very cool selection. That's the next Mud playlist sorted then Is Joyce Bond that nice Hammond one? Ringing some bells certainly.
                            A few very long time wants of mine you've pulled there.
                            Great to see. Btw Pinnochio & The Puppets is coming when I can find Alexander for Eric if that makes sense.
                            Everyone tear down your own little wall
                            That keeps you from being a part of it all
                            Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                            You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Afraid the Gary Walker is going to reside at the seaside in Morecambe Paul. There we quite a few more 45s mate but I decided to go with edited highlights

Comment

Working...
                              X