No announcement yet.

November 2016 Finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely not everyones cup of tea Funktionnaire, I'd agree with that. If they were, they would have been mega stars. They weren't. I can't put my finger on it, but I was immersed in that whole West Coast, early psychedelic sound for many years. For me, they encapsulated that sound. They were better and cooler than the Dead IMO. Sometimes I listen to John Cippolina on those early QMS lps and I get chills. Which is great for me, but obviously not for everybody.
    Never be afraid to say what you don't like as well as what you really love, as it all stimulates discussion. In that way, we can understand each other better too. It also avoids a room full of elephants.
    I think Monterey was one of the first big "public" showcases of the emergent pop/rock sounds of the time. Even in that clip, you can see there's a whole cross section of society, not purely the standard "hippy" audience of the monster later festivals. I actually prefer the vibe that comes across in that film as opposed to the Woodstock film from a few years later. I think a fair number of people at the show were there out of curiosity. If you had been listening to mainstream radio in early'67 and popped along to Monterey , you could have been forgiven for not knowing what to make of a lot of the bands performing. Unless you bumped into Mr Owsley on the way in of course.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

If you find another Levitts with the sampler "cheap" please give me the heads up Alan.
      Maybe we need a ready reckoner of what is generally regarded as cheap etc. Cheap to me is under a tenner. Am I in the ball park?

Comment

Originally posted by amidar
        He only listens to Jazz people like me who obviously know nothing about how jazz music works

Apparently you cant mix jazz with prog or any other kind of music
        Amidar, I used to love prog, and bought and listened to nothing else at one stage, it was that that got me into jazz and of course I know of Pekka Pohjola and I'll always pick up anything like this that I've never heard or seen before, to keep if I like it or flip if I dont
        I'm 60 and bought every tamla record , then reggae, then rock, then punk, then house and d&b, I havn't always liked jazz and its not the only thing I listen to today either so dont prejudge me
        This record is weird to say the least, you know it you say
        Last edited by reza; 20-11-2016, 10:42 AM.

Comment

I've already called the police ...

Not as bad as I thought it would be, but on the OUT pile
          "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

^ What can you expect from a man wearing furniture upholstery?
            https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

Originally posted by moecurlythanu View Post
              ^ What can you expect from a man wearing furniture upholstery?
              A decorative pouf perhaps?
              "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Love that Horace Silver.

Horace Silver must be the most productive artist on Blue Note.

Comment

cheap vinyl finds I have picked up whilst out and about last week

Yugoslavian Prog from 1975 and of course I bought it for the cover

49p for this unusual Punk & Avantgarde compilation from 1980

It does exactly what it says on the sleeve

A double album picked up with my golf mad father in law in mind

A musical tour of the city released in 1969

The best and most unusual find of the week was this album from 1975 complete with booklet.

The Miles Davis track from Bitches Brew is a stand-out on this Quad comp.

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post

"lets get to the nitty gritty" & "sweet sweetie dee" killer cuts.

Horace looking most dapper on that cover unlike this one where it looks like he's been to the diner next door to the studio a little too often...

Comment

As predicted, I'm really slowing the vinyl purchasing down as my lovely young lady consistently submits her Christmas and Birthday wants (yes, the perfect storm of her having a birthday a couple of days before Christmas). Such is life.

These lot all came from Rob's a couple of weeks back. Forum-friendly fodder from The Association, I'm sure I used to have this many years ago, won't be letting it go this time though. Shelly Manne is so much better than I expected, just my kind of slightly deranged, atmospheric and funky jazz. Michael Chapman has maybe two good tracks, not sure if it's a keeper, bit too AOR for me I reckon. Really chuffed to get the Ozo LP for less than the price of a Costa beverage, yes it's FAR too heavy on the reggae, but you can't mess with 'Anambra'.

Got the above set from Rob's last Friday. Glad to get the first volume of Amazing Dancing Band as I've had copies of Volume Two a few times, but never seen this one before. Some good, beaty almost Northern stompers on here, well worth picking up if you see it cheap enough. Thirty Days Out was cheap, thank God as it's extremely beige, overwrought hard prog (straight in the pile to be off-loaded down the market). Had heard many good things about Galaxie 500, but can't really remember them from the time - think I was buying Native Tongues, X-Clan, LONS, KMD etc at that time! Really not sure about it, can kind of hear a way in via Mazzy Star or MBV, but I dunno - should I persevere? Similarly with The Saints, heard so much to lure me in, but it sounds like punk parody to me. This was not my best haul from Rob, put it that way - one keeper out of four! Oh dear.

Top two were from a charity shop near work (both spares). The Barron Knights has a couple of decent tracks actually and I'm sure all are aware of the merits of the Kaempfert. 'Taxi Driver' was off eBay, I've been after it at a decent price for years. Much prefer Bernard Herrmann's Side Two than the jazz-funk from Tom Scott on Side One. One a day like today, when the real rain has definitely come, the main theme sounds so good.

And, while out and about today, I bought................................a 7"!!!! I know, I know. But it was Kate Bush's 'December Will Be Magic Again' and it was at the very front of the rack of 7"s, so caught my eye and is absolutely my favourite Christmas song, so I took that to be an omen (I also got Kraftwerk 'The Model' and The Jam 'Beat Surrender' for a work colleague and Alan Tew 'Magic Fly' which will be a freebie here - rounded me off to the 4 for £1 offer). It won't happen again.
                      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Slippery slope with the 45s Ben ��

Nice finds sir.
                        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Slippery slope Ben. Better start collecting those 7" mailers

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                            Slippery slope with the 45s Ben ��

Nice finds sir.
                            Now that's a bit freaky

Comment

Haha! Well we have 45 form Paul.
                              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                                Wow! I'm amazed you haven't come across any Wigwam lps. There's 13 (at least) of the blighters. I like the early 45s, predictably I suppose.
                                I've got the first two Paul mate, you love this one, very Canterbury sounding -

https://www.discogs.com/Wigwam-Hard-...elease/8554845
                                "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Working...
                                X