November 2016 Finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• November 2016 Finds

In the post after rummaging around on Tradera (Swedish eBay) on a Sunday afternoon and taking shots at a few interesting 45s, some lost but a few won at very reasonable prices, around 5€ mark.

First up an EP on the Jukebox label. The label was active in the 60a and early 70s and released compilation EPs, part original hits, part hits covered by a local band using an alias, and in some cases original songs that would not turn up elsewhere.
    This 1968 EP has a great track by Downliner Sect unavailable elsewhere, Spider, Also a good song by Swedish Hounds that I haven’t seen elsewhere, Summertown.

Zappo is Marty Wilde doing a little crazy glamstomp action. B-side Right On is almost the better one. And it’s the Swedish press that seems to be pretty hard to find.

Really happy to find a nice copy of the loud Swedish press of Send Me A Postcard, I’ve passed by a copy or two at crazy prices at record fairs recently. The fuzz guitar really packs a punch on this cut. Not sure if the clip is the right version.

Jinx is a Swedish band, never seen this 1967 45 before but it’s comped on Popboxen, maybe the most comprehensive collection of Swedish 60s music. No YT clip unfortunately, but it’s in soft psych territory.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

I picked up some records IRL and online recently, but don't have a working camera, so here's the result of my fumbling around the web/ Devizes/ west London/ discogs and eBay...

These are all from the market in Devizes, all from the pound box and mostly in minty condition:

The Ellington is amazing: as you'd expect there's a breadth of texture, rhythm and inventive arrangement on pretty much all of it. "Tina" is my favourite right now.
    The WRC pressing of Tijuana is cloyingly poppy, barring one or two slower/ moodier numbers.
    Couldn't leave August and the girls in that box for £1, now could I? It would have been rude. And I wouldn't have been smiling so much at home. Or shimmying in the back room.
    The "Cy and I" (Cy GRant and Bill le Sage) is great in parts, v reminiscent of Oscar Brown Jr at times, inc a slinky version of "The Snake". and a version of "feeling good" with an arrangement that contrasts brilliantly with something else i got that week...

I got this long time want from another VG+ member, and it's splendid...

And finally, though i don't normally post eBay things, this grail tumbled through the door last week for just over £20. tiny pressing flaw on the label, vinyl and sleeve concourse condition... i was quite chuffed.

there were load of others, but you'll have to listen to the radio show to hear them

Comment

Nice stuff chaps. Predictably it's the Downliners Sect tune which got my ears a popping. Nice one for 5 Euros Cratedigger. You do realise that's about fifty quid over here now, so not such a bargain
      Everyone tear down your own little wall
      That keeps you from being a part of it all
      Because you've got to be one with the one and all
      You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
        Nice stuff chaps. Predictably it's the Downliners Sect tune which got my ears a popping. Nice one for 5 Euros Cratedigger. You do realise that's about fifty quid over here now, so not such a bargain
        They appeared on three Jukebox EPs with an original track. I have two now, the one with Lord Of The Ring as well, found that in a 2€ box at a record fair recently.
        Just the one with White Caterpilla left.
        All three songs were comped on an EP in the eighties, not that expensive.
        https://www.discogs.com/Downliners-S.../master/422684

Inflow has been heavy lately, so I made a bet yesterday with another digger about who could go the longest without buying records, IRL or net, just the honor riding on the bet.
        To make it less frustrating we excluded buys up to 1€ from charity shops.
        True to form, he comes up with this for 1€ today
        ------------------------------------------------------
        "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

This has been long overdue for severa months, so here goes. Excluding the hip-hop/electronic section and anything from further back, this is the pick of the litter from my vacation in Portugal and a recent day-trip to Cologne for pure digging fun.

Lisbon was an incredible city, unfortunately record-shopping wise I wasnt able to take that much time, so my returns were pretty slim (will post on the Lisbon thread later), but my visit to various Cologne record stores I hadnt been to yet yielded some great stuff (if anyone is interested, Black Diamond record store and Nunk Music, which could be the German version of NYs The Thing, a diggers wet dream).

So here are the big ones..

Sunbirds - Sunbirds Well this doesnt need much introduction, a masterpiece with cast of super-talented musicians. This is of course/unfortunately not the first press, and I just realised when checking for this release that it seems to be an unofficial one... I might need to reconsider and swap it for the official reissue from Garden of Delights. Interestingly I hadnt realised before looking at the back cover in the store that Philip Catherine is on this as well. Just today a copy of Stream popped up on Discogs for 1,200 if anyone is interested. By the way is that reissue of stream also a bootleg? On a different note, the owner pointed Fritz Pauer's solo work out which I havent checked yet. Any pointers are always welcome..

Eberhard Weber - Silent Feet This is the ECM style I really like, file under great cheap records! I got introduced to Eberhard Weber while I was clicking myself through Youtube recommendations when I found this live performance by him and was blown away by it. Anthony Marshall on drums also kills it, Side A is a monster 15+minute track with so many great mood swings.

The Billy Cobham and George Duke Band - "Live" On Tour in Europe Also two great musicians, this is actually not half bad for a live record. Mainly bought this to play around with it in the sampler.

Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto #2 Another live one, cant really go wrong with these two, can you? This was from Lisbons "Thieves Market", a Saturday flea market, for a Euro, as it was pretty roughed up. Will definately have to upgrade this copy as theres a lot of fried chicken on this one..

Ravi Shankar & Yehudi Menuhin ‎– West Meets East: The Historic Shankar/Menuhin Sessions I almost picked up Shankar and Friends as well, but then reconsidered. The Shankar side is definately the side you want to listen to on this one.. Also bought for finding the odd sample or two.

Duncan Lamont - The best of The Bossa Novas Another Mfp release that is surprisingly solid, all instrumental bossas.

Leo Sayers - Silverbird Finally Ive got this, saw it flying around the forum a few times and wasnt sure anymore if it was a positive or negative mention. Besides the great sleeve face this reminds me a lot of Queen and is actually quite enjoyable for home spinning. Something a bit outside the box for my preferences which I really enjoyed.

Ramsey Lewis - Soul Incorporated Nice collection of his stuff, he hardly has a bad record out there,does he? I actually meant to buy Goin Latin as well, but I kind of wished he had put a bit more Latin touch into it. Still good nonetheless

And the small ones, all grabbed in Lisbon which helped hauling them back.

Osibisa - Pata Pata/Jumbo Would have wished that this was a bit more of an afro-funky remake of the Makeba original, but oh well. The flipside is better in my opinion.

Orquestra de James Last - Love Theme from the Godfather After seeing a dozen of James Last LPs I was surprised to see my first James Last 45 ever..in Portugal.. The Godfather gets the James Last treatment, and again the flipside is the one to look out for!

Carl Douglas - Dance the Kungfu I bought this with the Gang Starr track in mind which sampled this. DJ Premier is and will remain one of the best producers ever..

Credence Clearwater Revival - Looking Out My Backdoor/Long as I Can See the Light
          How many of you are fans of The Big Lebowski out there?? I always loved how they used this in the soundtrack. And to my surprise, the flipside opens with a killer drum break... Who would have thought that.. For 50 ct also copped on the fleamarket, and to my surprise the sound quality is quite good for the state the cover was in..

Ohio Express - Chewy Chewy
          Totally misplaced this for a soul 45, with it being on Buddah and all. This version actually has four tracks on it, the only one I can really enjoy is the uptempo rocker First Grade Reader

Demi Roussos - Fire and Ice / The Good Days have gone It seems as if Portugues people had a thing for Demis, as the stores were swamped with that stuff. I thought Id give it a go without knowing his catalogue at all. Not my type this one, had hoped for more of a psych-folkier vibe. Might grab a sample from the Fire and Ice tune...
          Last edited by Beater Pan; 03-11-2016, 10:11 AM.
          Hip-Hop: https://soundcloud.com/beater-pan

Everything else: https://mixcloud.com/beater-pan

Instagram: http://instagram.com/beater_pan

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post

The Ellington is amazing: as you'd expect there's a breadth of texture, rhythm and inventive arrangement on pretty much all of it. "Tina" is my favourite right now.
            Beautiful LP. I can never have too much of 'The Sleeping Lady And The Giant Who Watches Over Her'.

It should probably get a mention in the cheapies thread too.

WF

Comment

Its worth picking up the 'Fire and Ice' album Beater some great tunes on it and it turns up quite regular in Charity shops for a quid or so. Released as 'On the Greek Side of my Mind' which has the same cover as your 45 in the rest of Europe. A better cover imo.
              Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Originally posted by Beater Pan View Post
                Duncan Lamont - The best of The Bossa Novas Another Mfp release that is surprisingly solid, all instrumental bossas.

Leo Sayers - Silverbird Finally Ive got this, saw it flying around the forum a few times and wasnt sure anymore if it was a positive or negative mention. Besides the great sleeve face this reminds me a lot of Queen and is actually quite enjoyable for home spinning. Something a bit outside the box for my preferences which I really enjoyed.
                Duncan Lamont: this one was always at my parents' house. I could never remember whether it was mine or Dad's. Remember it being a good listen. Now re-housed in my collection somewhere, must dig it out.

Leo Sayer: Glad to see you are flying the Leo flag This album got a positive mention from me - back when it was first released it was on my want list but pocket money didn't stretch, now hard filed after finally picking up a copy last year. Good to get another Leo mention in as I think it maybe a source of irritation for many around here

Comment

Originally posted by Willy-Fogg View Post
                  Beautiful LP. I can never have too much of 'The Sleeping Lady And The Giant Who Watches Over Her'.

It should probably get a mention in the cheapies thread too.

WF
                  Well, that IS a good idea. so I did it.

right here

Comment

Some bits 'n' bobs on a short trip to The Lakes mid-week and some LP's from last Sundays very, very last local car boot.

The perfect album to find on a Cumbrian dig, this was found in Silloth with another copy of the Daphne Oram
                    electronic dance LP for schools I'd picked up earlier in the year.

A musical comedy mix featuring members of The Scaffold with Neil Innes & friends.

Sole solo effort by Barbara Mullaney aka Rita Fairclough aka Barbara Knox aka Rita Tanner and possibly others.

I paid £6 for this at the car boot, the guy wanted £10 but that tear on the sleeve edged it for me,
                    I was more than happy that the vinyl was in super condition.

Sweet, signed folk album of canal songs and stories.

I must suffer from some strange ailment that forbids me to leave such albums as these in 50p bins,
                    maybe i just need to give them a good home?

50p blown on this US Riverside Jazz album from 1956 with nice vinyl but a tatty sleeve.

Another cheap find, I never even knew there was a JD album, turns out to be movie dialogue and sadly not songs.

This mid 70's R&R album on the oddly named Throstle Nest label came signed on the rear with a signed pic of Dave inside.
                    The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Don't be a tease HG I want to see that Dave Lee pic!

Comment

Originally posted by amidar View Post
                        Don't be a tease HG I want to see that Dave Lee pic!
                        the man knows how to pose

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

I want those trousers!

Comment

VG+/Ex. $3

[IMG][/IMG]

Reading about Hopkins years back I had the impression that this was nothing special. Worth a punt, though, for $3?

Just about.

The Main Theme would probably fit well in a suitably themed comp. Being soundtrack work for an edgy drama, it is rather more than your straight strongly jazz-inflected orch work. It is still, though, wrapped up in those conventions. I hear nothing exceptional here.

[IMG][/IMG]

The draw here was the Paul Horn piece "Cirrus". For which the sleeve uses words such as "atonal", "Debussy", "Nostradamus", and "Obamacare". It is prettier and more polite than I was hoping for. As is what I have heard of the rest of the album. More of the cello might have helped, in that regard.

VG+/VG+. $4.
                            Last edited by Grim Lounge Cowboy; 06-11-2016, 01:35 AM. Reason: WIP

Comment

Compare/contrast the sleeves. Each featuring soulful expressions designed to win over the wavering potential purchaser.

Comment

Working...
                              X