January 2017 Finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
    Think I’ll keep the ‘Otley’ soundtrack as there’s a couple of fuzzy groovers on there
    that Otley s/t has a good sample of old R1 DJ Pete Murray talking + the Tokyo Mobile Music has this excellent tune by Lizard

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Brigitte Fontaine/Art Ensemble Of Chicago - Comme A La Radio - Saravah

Original french gatefold '69. Picked out of my local Oxfams January Sale boxes. Merci.
      record licker

Comment

A few recent bits.

Ken Boothe ‎- Mr. Rocksteady. - A very clean repress.

The Marvettes ‎– It's Revival Time. - On Tabernacle records with Coxsone Dodd on production. Has sadly been mauled by a carnivore.

Tapper Zukie ‎– The Man From Bozrah. - Not great sound quality on this

Cal Tjader And Charlie Byrd ‎– Tambu - Havnt listened to this much but will always pick this sort of stuff up

The Black Crowes ‎– Shake Your Money Maker. - Not really my bag, Let me know if anyones interested in this

The Apple: The Original Soundtrack Of The Musical Film. - Id never heard of this before and was quite happy with that scenario

Junior Wells' Chicago Blues Band ‎– Hoodoo Man Blues. - Been a big fan of this for a while and forked out for a repress

SL2 - Way In My Brain. - I was 3 when this came out. Remember my first taste of SL2 was picking up this cd comper from a charity shop in Harpenden https://www.discogs.com/Various-On-A...elease/2478385

G
        Elephant and dwarf they call them, Pepe Kalle and his little
        stage dancing friend Emoro.

Comment

IIRC there is a stand out track on "Tambu". The title track? Not exceptional. Possibly not even a 'keeper'. But nice enough. I've never seen it cheap enough to prompt me to buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by relkeel View Post
            Brigitte Fontaine/Art Ensemble Of Chicago - Comme A La Radio - Saravah

Original french gatefold '69. Picked out of my local Oxfams January Sale boxes. Merci.
            oof!

oeuf!

Comment

Originally posted by george View Post

The Apple: The Original Soundtrack Of The Musical Film. - Id never heard of this before and was quite happy with that scenario
              Don't diss the Apple. If you gotta be in a dystopian future, you want to be in the one where disco dancing exercise is mandatory:

Do the BIM. Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
                Don't diss the Apple. If you gotta be in a dystopian future, you want to be in the one where disco dancing exercise is mandatory:
                Now this is the context i needed, diss promptly withdrawn. Is this what they where projecting for 1994?

G
                Elephant and dwarf they call them, Pepe Kalle and his little
                stage dancing friend Emoro.

Comment

a small round up from my weekend explorations.

Strange and fabulous northern soul dancer with backwards things

Mod hammond classic - as first heard (by me) on the legendary 'This is Sue' comp

Afrobeat punt turns up trumps (for my non-afrobeat ears) - 2 great funky tracks

A brace from the charity shops yesterday. The Essra Mohawk is really good! Femme folk funk and a psych jazz wig out - any love on here? The Muddy is a spare but probably headed to the NE already.

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Couple of pick ups. First came in a trade with Andrew from on here (and actually should be a December find but I only got around to listening to it yesterday) and was a long time resident on my want list (one of those that isn't the rarest but you never quite get around to picking it up)

The other was an online punt - Bill Garden can come up trumps or be awful. The cover of this screamed gold solid gold, although the title was worrying. Turns out to be a rather strange keyboard/piano country instrumental LP (mostly medleys and mostly guff) with a couple of nice, slightly funky, tracks so overall worth it for a minimal outlay. Smashing cover though (but not as good as the Bill Garden Set LP based in the old Transport Museum)

Comment

Originally posted by george View Post
                      Now this is the context i needed, diss promptly withdrawn. Is this what they where projecting for 1994?

G
                      Indeed. Where did it all go wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by dukowski83 View Post
                        Couple of pick ups. First came in a trade with Andrew from on here (and actually should be a December find but I only got around to listening to it yesterday) and was a long time resident on my want list (one of those that isn't the rarest but you never quite get around to picking it up)

The other was an online punt - Bill Garden can come up trumps or be awful. The cover of this screamed gold solid gold, although the title was worrying. Turns out to be a rather strange keyboard/piano country instrumental LP (mostly medleys and mostly guff) with a couple of nice, slightly funky, tracks so overall worth it for a minimal outlay. Smashing cover though (but not as good as the Bill Garden Set LP based in the old Transport Museum)

I've never seen that Bill Garden... I have the one you mention set in the old transport museum, but there are rumours of another Bill Garden LP on the same label, I've only ever heard it whispered about in reverential tones and it is aledged to contain a James Brown cover... I know one infrequent poster on this board has it, but was vague on the details when quized, and to be fair was thousands of miles away from the record when asked. But.... further sleuthing has suggested that another board member may have a copy, a well kent Glaswegian face to you and I who I had been meaning to ask recently... but unhappy circumstance prevented me from doing so in December... Question is - do you know what I'm talking about?
                        In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
                          I've never seen that Bill Garden... I have the one you mention set in the old transport museum, but there are rumours of another Bill Garden LP on the same label, I've only ever heard it whispered about in reverential tones and it is aledged to contain a James Brown cover... I know one infrequent poster on this board has it, but was vague on the details when quized, and to be fair was thousands of miles away from the record when asked. But.... further sleuthing has suggested that another board member may have a copy, a well kent Glaswegian face to you and I who I had been meaning to ask recently... but unhappy circumstance prevented me from doing so in December... Question is - do you know what I'm talking about?
                          Is this the one we've spoken about?

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                            Is this the one we've spoken about?
                            Yes... Shhh!
                            In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

I'm glad we only get glimpses into the cloak and dagger world of Scottish private press collecting. I imagine there's a whole load of secret symbols, hand signals and unexplained 'absences'.
                              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
                                Yes... Shhh!
                                In that case it's not a James Brown cover

Comment

Working...
                                X