Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

February 2017 finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by candiman View Post
    Last weekend mum and dad (that's me) trucked down to the south coast and took our son out for a birthday lunch. New Forest area. Afterwards we said what now? My son beat me to the suggestion of charity shop trawling. My wife didn't complain - turns out my son is now a fan of the chazzas (comes of being a student I guess) and my wife has also recently converted.

    So we found a couple close by. First one was an independent, which was promising. They had a fair amount of of vinyl but nothing worth pulling the trigger on. My wife found a cardi , and my son a CD. I was aware that someone had come in and dropped off some donations but I hadn't paid it any attention. I went for a peruse of the CDs which were near the counter. Then I noticed an LP record case on the floor. Empty I thought, picked it up - no it wasn't. It wasn't easy to open but managed it in the end. The lady behind the counter (friendly, if a little scatty) said "oh thanks you managed to open it, I couldn't". So this was the drop off, or at least part of it. Fresh vinyl! I dug in and pulled out some interesting stuff - my wife was watching as I did so and said afterwards my hands were shaking! I asked the lady if she needed to vet them first, but no, 50p each she said.



    OK, no Vertigo swirl grails, but not a bad haul.

    78s are
    Elvis Presley - All Shook Up
    Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers- I'm Not A Juvenile Delinquent


    The five Beatles EPs are in fantastic condition and original releases. Nowhere Man appears to be the real gem.

    Three Hollies 45s. The Hollies (and The Troggs) I always pick up if I come across them. I have probably led a sheltered life, as this is the first time I have come across Miners M Make-Up adverts on the reverse of Parlophone sleeves.

    The stack in the picture are mostly Elvis Presley tri centres etc EPs. They are not in great shape (especially the sleeves) and I kinda knew I shouldn't have bothered with them, but I was carried away in the moment. Stones, Animals, Dusty, Bill Haley also in there.

    Nothing of note in the other chazza we visited (Age UK where the vinyl was not priced to sell) but my son did add a nice coat and a mug (from The Isle Of Harris of all places) to his haul.

    Nowhere man.
    What a Great track.
    I'd be well happy finding that for 50 pence.

    They had it in oxfam in Jesmond but wanted 75 quid for it

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by jay View Post
      Nowhere man.
      What a Great track.
      I'd be well happy finding that for 50 pence.

      They had it in oxfam in Jesmond but wanted 75 quid for it
      It looks like that is approaching it's achievable rate (for a minty copy). Knowing Oxfam it would have had condition issues, and Oxfam seem blind to condition when pricing.

      Comment


      • #63
        Hit quite a few charity shops today. All quiet on the north eastern front.

        Only one I picked up was this. Sadly not the version with turquoise lettering



        Quite enjoyable actually, me and the 6yo just been having a blast...

        Comment


        • #64
          A few recent 45s



          I like Oh CalcuttaThe Ron Anthony is a very laid back version. It's the first track on this you tube video of the whole LP


          The Sparrow has Elaine Paige singing. I like it. It builds quite nicely to an orchestral flourish and a massed voice chant before relaxing back. I had no idea it was Elaine Paige until I looked for the video.


          Mary Roos. Why wouldn't you like it. I would go further; I love this song. You can't really hear him on this video but when I was playing it I said to Mrs Khan "I don't know who played the bass on this but he should get a medal" he's a total monster. Mary Roos was German but she sounds great in French.



          Ernie Hines once belonged to Harriet Starling and Anthony fields. Perhaps I should add my name to it as well.





          Handa Wanda- The Wild Magnolias 'Smoke my Peace Pipe' on the B Side



          Late Buffalos



          Sons of Champlin 'Fat City'. Screaming vocals, swirling hammond organ, horns, a solid beat, choppy guitar...don't think they left anything out.

          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
            Nice haul.... Dig Vinyl in Liverpool by any chance?

            Whats the Lp under Zalatnay?
            Nice one.

            Traffic - Last Exit under Zalatnay, some from dig vinyl, some from cult vinyl, some from random charity shops.

            Comment


            • #66


              Marlena Shaw - Out Of Different Bags - hadn't seen this '67 Cadet album before, quite groovy stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL25...=RDVL25VR21Vrg
              Jimmy Hamilton - In A Sentimental Mood - WRC jazz cheapie recommended on here possibly? "Tempo De Brazilia" and "Taj Mahal" are the two more interesting tracks
              Art Pepper with Strings - Winter Moon - '81, but sounds much earlier, like an easy listening classic. Only have "Meets the Rhythm Section" which is amazing, and have avoided listening to anything else he did in case it didn't live up to that, but this looked interesting.
              Alice Babs and Svend Asmussen - Scandanavian Songs With Alice And Svend - odd home studio affair from '64, sung in English with quirky easy-ish arrangements. The sleeve is a sort of hessian bag.
              e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb5O8ZQIWqc and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-rGIcZ-xEM


              Peter and Chris Coe - Open The Door And Let Us In - early Trailer release, husband and wife folk duo, 8 quid in Oxfam which seemed pretty reasonable. I like a lot of albums on Trailer, but not sure if this is a keeper yet.
              Frankie Armstrong - Lovely On The Water - mid 70s Topic. On the mudcat forum a few years back people compiled a list of good 60s/70s folk albums, I think this was on there
              Paul Stookey - Paul And - charity find, early 70s solo album from Peter, Paul and Mary guy, was hoping for lost-classic pop folkster goes country psych affair. Sadly despite ticking a lot of good boxes, it doesn't seem that great, but there's a couple of nice tracks
              Word Of Mouth Chorus - Rivers Of Delight - I think this was the only non-field recording of "Sacred Harp" shape note singing available for years. Is a bit tame in places compared to some of the "real" stuff on youtube, but it's a beautiful listen and hopefully a good starting point


              Ann Peebles - I Can't Stand the Rain
              Ragni, Rado, MacDermot - DisinHAIRited - songs that didn't make the normal Hair LP. not played yet, and not expecting too much, but it was cheap and my Hair-game is weak, probably only about 10 LPs (stumbled over a Hair chart on here from a while back, and hadn't even heard of half of them)
              Spirit - Live Spirit - from a local charity that is normally pretty dry. Been keeping an eye out for a couple of their early LPs, but don't think this live album is the best starting point for them
              The Maskman & The Agents - Wigs - random 45 found with the Spirit LP. Not his best, but couldn't leave it there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubPuw-TSWDE
              Katarzyna Gärtner, Czerwono-Czarni ‎– Pan Przyjacielem Moim (Msza Beatowa) - well known here, have been meaning to buy this for years. cheapish copy from ebay, gatefold a bit tatty
              Tomita - The Bermuda Triangle - I love "The Snowflakes Are Dancing" but haven't kept other LPs of his. This looked a bit more interesting, it's classical pieces (a lot of Prokofiev) but seem to be more effect-laded and synthed up

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by bongolia View Post




                Ann Peebles - I Can't Stand the Rain
                Ragni, Rado, MacDermot - DisinHAIRited - songs that didn't make the normal Hair LP. not played yet, and not expecting too much, but it was cheap and my Hair-game is weak, probably only about 10 LPs (stumbled over a Hair chart on here from a while back, and hadn't even heard of half of them)
                Spirit - Live Spirit - from a local charity that is normally pretty dry. Been keeping an eye out for a couple of their early LPs, but don't think this live album is the best starting point for them
                The Maskman & The Agents - Wigs - random 45 found with the Spirit LP. Not his best, but couldn't leave it there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubPuw-TSWDE
                Katarzyna Gärtner, Czerwono-Czarni ‎– Pan Przyjacielem Moim (Msza Beatowa) - well known here, have been meaning to buy this for years. cheapish copy from ebay, gatefold a bit tatty
                Tomita - The Bermuda Triangle - I love "The Snowflakes Are Dancing" but haven't kept other LPs of his. This looked a bit more interesting, it's classical pieces (a lot of Prokofiev) but seem to be more effect-laded and synthed up
                Everyone get s a mention except Ann Peebles. Surely that should say- Ann Peebles, I can't Stand The Rain, worth it for this...

                "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                  Everyone get s a mention except Ann Peebles. Surely that should say- Ann Peebles, I can't Stand The Rain
                  Thought it didn't really need anything further saying... Been meaning to get that album for years. Had the LP after this for years, but this one seems to be getting more expensive, so went for a cheap copy because of the damaged sleeve. Think I only knew the title track from this. Love the "Hi" sound though, "Let's Stay Together" is probably a desert island album for me.

                  Only other Ann Peebles I have is "Trouble, Heartache and Sadness" on 45, which is a) great and b) sampled on GZA's "Shadowboxing"

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Straight From The Heart is also a great LP, worth picking up. Although similarly, prices on that (or at least the London issue) have shot up over last few years.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      See Ann Peebles - buy it. Simple.

                      Al Green got all the Hi hits and the marketing muscle (and don't get me wrong, he was great) but Ann and was easily his equal musically. Syl Johnson and Quiet Elegance were two more who suffered in Al's shadow.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                        Mary Roos. Why wouldn't you like it. I would go further; I love this song. You can't really hear him on this video but when I was playing it I said to Mrs Khan "I don't know who played the bass on this but he should get a medal" he's a total monster. Mary Roos was German but she sounds great in French.

                        The backing track from this, sans Mary, surfaced on an April Orchestra library music LP if you want to hear the bass player a bit better. The German version is called 'Morgens Um Funf' and is a b-side, incredibly.....what a waste! It sounds better in French, though.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post
                          The backing track from this, sans Mary, surfaced on an April Orchestra library music LP if you want to hear the bass player a bit better. The German version is called 'Morgens Um Funf' and is a b-side, incredibly.....what a waste! It sounds better in French, though.
                          Thanks Lord T, Vol 1 right? Might look out for one of those- in fact looking thorough them there appear to a few I should look out for..damn it! I listened to 'Morgens Um Funf'-terrible. Like a bag of hammers falling down some stairs. Just sounds really hard to fit the words to the tune. As I say, on my 7" the bass player comes through loud and clear- almost as if he nipped back after the session and remixed it himself thinking, 'That bass really needs to be a little more out front'. I have a 45 of 'L'Autoroute' on which he is far more restrained. As it happens 'Amour Toujours' is also a b-side, to 'Viva' which is nice enough-a sort of superior Eurovision song- but nowhere near the equal of 'Amour Toujours'.
                          Last edited by Shere Khan; 19-02-2017, 10:20 PM.
                          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by bongolia View Post

                            Ann Peebles - I Can't Stand the Rain
                            Ragni, Rado, MacDermot - DisinHAIRited - stumbled over a Hair chart on here from a while back, and hadn't even heard of half of them
                            Should we update the Top 10 Ultimate Hair Cuts?

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              I think I found the thread again, or at least one of the Hair discussions I was looking at the other day: nlgbbbblth's Hair Chart

                              http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...rt-(with-mp3s)

                              I think I was also looking at a blog with a load more I never knew existed.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Amarcord Nino Rota

                                $10. Near mint/ Near mint.

                                Early 80's mainly jazz takes on Rota tracks for Fellini films. Picture may follow.

                                Google tells me that this is sometimes credited with being the first modern ' tribute ' lp.

                                My immediate reaction is that I find the brightness and clarity of the production off-putting.

                                Carla Bley' s contribution reminds me of ballad of the Fallen : changes of mood and pace. Too jaunty by half for me overall.

                                Dave Samuels Vibes interludes too pretty.

                                Bill Frisell track too diffuse.

                                Bed now.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X