Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

March finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    went to look at a job lot of 600 albums, all absolute chud, bought one single for a quid

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Willy-Fogg View Post
      These were all from my local to work charity shops. Kate Bush for a friend because I don't like her. The Chico's surprisingly good. Belly Dancing is meh. Alan Parker's terrible and Sam and Dave's brilliant, and what a cover!
      There's a great fuzz-ridden cover of "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" on that Parker from what I can recall...
      Drastically reduced to 72p

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
        Madness. Listen to Bogus Man for some UK Krautrock. Groundhogs Split is a fun record as well.
        Seconded!
        OK, we can't all like everything but Beauty Queen (on Stranded) is the quintessential 70s Roxy Music track, i cant think the number of times i played that album. Editions Of You is fabulous too. And Ashes Are Burning is a good place to start with Renaissance. OK I'll shut up now.
        Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Milesago View Post
          Seconded!
          OK, we can't all like everything but Beauty Queen (on Stranded) is the quintessential 70s Roxy Music track, i cant think the number of times i played that album. Editions Of You is fabulous too. And Ashes Are Burning is a good place to start with Renaissance. OK I'll shut up now.
          Please don't! I've not had a chance to listen to most of the above so this kind of direction is genuinely appreciated.

          Thanks all for your suggestions. any more gratefully received.

          WF

          Comment


          • #20
            Vinyl odds n' ends I seem to have accumulated in the past week or so.



            These were an unusual pair to find, a Monkees oddities compilation from '69 and a solo Monkee LP
            comprising of instrumental versions of tunes also recorded at various times by The Monkees,
            this was Michael Nesmith's first solo release from '68.








            A Canadian double album which teaches the art of turntablism via an identical 2 x record set
            to be played off against each other, it was supposed to come with a book but sadly not included.









            A live recording in front of what sounds like an entirely male audience but it's not even half as cheeky as I'd have liked.






            A record shop purchase - The Wit & Wisdom Of Nigel Farage it's a completely silent on the A side however,
            the B side's remix adds tumbleweeds and birds in between the quiet bits.



            Some of the more unusual 7"s that I dug out of the garage of some old bloke who rang me up.












            pretend signed on the back and actually signed on the front!





            The Garden Facebook Blog

            Comment


            • #21
              Some more recent finds from different sources:



              I bought a box of records on a house call. As it was mostly abysmal I managed to haggle it down to £25, and that for the sole purpose of the Tiffany Shade. I'd seen it in a picture and figured it would be trashed, but to my surprise it was a minty OG. Really nice psych pop, I'd heard a track or two by them before.
              National Gallery was a £1 chance buy from a charity shop. Expected it to be the pedestrian "soft-psych vocals" you often find on records like this, especially when the sleeve notes go on about psychedelia. I was really happy to hear some arty twists in the music, actually a great record. Of course I had to look it up here, and yes, it had a number of mentions on VG+



              Sorry, upside down, I've had it with Photobucket and the random rotation. A trio of really cheap Tradera buys.
              Five By Five - Fire, great Hendrix cover by a band I have one more 45 of, 15 going on 20, nice hard fuzz
              Micky Moonshine - Baby Blue demo, vocal on one side, moog instrumental on other side. Couldn't find a lot about this one, it was B-side to Name It You Got It which seems to be a nS stomper in demand. Vocal version is a bit standard glam, but I really like the moogy instrumental. Not on discogs, I had to add it.
              Hot Rod - I Want You/Love Is All Right great two-sider glam stomper



              Two more Tradera buys.
              Dutronc EP has tracks from the 2nd LP which I sold because someone offered me silly money. Seems I can hoover up the tracks I like most on dirt cheap EPs instead.
              Bob Azzam . Ett litet cigarrettpaket/Mr Lovin Luggage Man. Odd release where he sings a Swedish version of A packet of cigarettes, which is more of a curiosity. But B-side is great. Haven't seen this one around before, and again I had to add to discogs. With so little info on this I made a conservative max bid which I was 99% sure wouldnt hold, got it for £15 in the end.
              The Loved Ones - Together, Together/Country Club Life is a trade with Treeboy, thanks, and great!
              Beach Boys I couldnt help to pick up in a shop as the Swedish PS looks so "Letraset school paper", and it was only £2.50 in great nick. Really love the Dennis Wilson B-side.
              ------------------------------------------------------
              "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by cratedigger View Post
                Some more recent finds from different sources
                Two great LP's....lovely finds.
                "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Willy-Fogg View Post
                  Haven't listened to the Kool G Rap yet. The old(er) school LPs (Shan, Schoolly and Just Ice) didn't do much for me.

                  Masta Ace one (with the Grand Funk sample I think - too tired to look it up).
                  Music Man

                  Kool G Rap is a classic, as is Shan, Schoolly and Just Ice. Golden era all the way (87 to 92 in my book) so I guess the Just Ice just falls out of that period. Cold Gettin' Dumb is epic though.
                  "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    The sleeve illustration of Freddie Starr's Elvis is striking. Am I alone in thinking that it makes him look effeminate? Was that his take on the King?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Funktionnaire View Post
                      The sleeve illustration of Freddie Starr's Elvis is striking. Am I alone in thinking that it makes him look effeminate? Was that his take on the King?
                      yes it's the real Freddie behind The King Freddie, he did do it quite well in his own sweet way bless him
                      The Garden Facebook Blog

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by cratedigger View Post
                        Some more recent finds from different sources:



                        I bought a box of records on a house call. As it was mostly abysmal I managed to haggle it down to £25, and that for the sole purpose of the Tiffany Shade. I'd seen it in a picture and figured it would be trashed, but to my surprise it was a minty OG. Really nice psych pop, I'd heard a track or two by them before.
                        National Gallery was a £1 chance buy from a charity shop. Expected it to be the pedestrian "soft-psych vocals" you often find on records like this, especially when the sleeve notes go on about psychedelia. I was really happy to hear some arty twists in the music, actually a great record. Of course I had to look it up here, and yes, it had a number of mentions on VG+



                        Sorry, upside down, I've had it with Photobucket and the random rotation. A trio of really cheap Tradera buys.
                        Five By Five - Fire, great Hendrix cover by a band I have one more 45 of, 15 going on 20, nice hard fuzz
                        Micky Moonshine - Baby Blue demo, vocal on one side, moog instrumental on other side. Couldn't find a lot about this one, it was B-side to Name It You Got It which seems to be a nS stomper in demand. Vocal version is a bit standard glam, but I really like the moogy instrumental. Not on discogs, I had to add it.
                        Hot Rod - I Want You/Love Is All Right great two-sider glam stomper



                        Two more Tradera buys.
                        Dutronc EP has tracks from the 2nd LP which I sold because someone offered me silly money. Seems I can hoover up the tracks I like most on dirt cheap EPs instead.
                        Bob Azzam . Ett litet cigarrettpaket/Mr Lovin Luggage Man. Odd release where he sings a Swedish version of A packet of cigarettes, which is more of a curiosity. But B-side is great. Haven't seen this one around before, and again I had to add to discogs. With so little info on this I made a conservative max bid which I was 99% sure wouldnt hold, got it for £15 in the end.
                        The Loved Ones - Together, Together/Country Club Life is a trade with Treeboy, thanks, and great!
                        Beach Boys I couldnt help to pick up in a shop as the Swedish PS looks so "Letraset school paper", and it was only £2.50 in great nick. Really love the Dennis Wilson B-side.
                        Them corkers, really. Have a copy of National Gallery myself and it`s always good to me. The 5x5 act is really on FIRE and has been a top want since the discovery of fire
                        DANCE TO THE RADIO

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Campag Record View Post
                          Music Man

                          Kool G Rap is a classic, as is Shan, Schoolly and Just Ice. Golden era all the way (87 to 92 in my book) so I guess the Just Ice just falls out of that period. Cold Gettin' Dumb is epic though.
                          WURD
                          "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by giantchicken View Post
                            Not the monster 45 post I threatened (postponed for being too flipping huge a task) so here's the weekend finds instead, all bar the obvious from charity shops.

                            NON-FOOD...



                            Hitachi CX65 CD/Radio/Cassette Player - It may mean nothing to you, but quality listening in the bath is important to me and since my last boombox failed I've realised that these things are an endangered species so I was happy to find this for 20 notes. It lacks any oomph at all but has an interesting '3D' effect which if you choose the right music and factor in the bathroom reverberation factor makes for a sonically pleasing bathtime listen - some things just sound better in the bath...



                            Jazz mags....loads of 'em.. - I meant to post these weeks ago but forgot...12 issues of 'Jazz Journal' (1975 - 1977) and it's exciting transformation into 'Jazz Journal International' (with some colour bits!) 13 copies (1977-1981) and as a bonus the August '89 number of 'Jersey Jazz' the journal of the New Jersey Jazz Society. Don't have a clue why I bought them or what to do with them...your suggestions please...

                            FOOD GLORIOUS FOOD...



                            King Champion Sounds - 'Fool Throttle'/'Debby One Day'
                            - Was dragged out of hibernation last night to see King Champion Sounds at The Fallow Cafe - first gig I've been to in awhile and I very much enjoyed it. They're a tight little outfit with a nutso horn section and motorik bass player that inhabit a space somewhere between The Fall, Can and Charlie Parker and they have a great front man in G W Sok, mainstay of The Ex for their first 30 years. It was great to get an extended chat with him after the show, a really cool fella. Not entirely representative of the live experience maybe, but both sides of the 45 are great, listen/grab one from here...



                            [IMG][/IMG]

                            Walter Carlos - 'Switched On Bach'- revisited the site of some recent finds (including a brace of Carlos') to see if any more of the collection had filtered out. Grabbed it's ankles and gave it a good shake but it coughed up this alone.

                            The Outrageous Dr Teleny's Incredible Plugged In Orchestra - 'Stolen Goods: Gems Lifted From The Masters' - Saturday's first find continued the synthi-classical theme. The work of Howard and Blaikely, the evil svengalis of Dave Dee, Dozy , Beaky, Mick & Tich. I'm not holding out any great hope...



                            Manfred Mann - 'Mannerisms' - An unremarkable compilation of Mike Hugg era Manfreds (my favourite) that might allow me to free some 45s...should play fine now I've removed what appeared to be glitter from the grooves...

                            'Mac & Katie Kissoon'
                            - Nasty (chirpy chirpy) cheap cheap Hallmark compilation - it's not particularly clever to know that there was more to M&K than 'Sugar Candy Kisses' and Mac's version of 'Get Down With It/Satisfaction' that opens this has got me out of many a DJing hole. Even so I was surprised at the quality of some of the gems on here for a cheapo chazza punt, a great cover of 'It's All Over Now', a reggae take of 'The Games People Play' and even a fuzz filled version of the Equals' 'Black Skinned Blue Eyed Boys'...bag on sight, I say...



                            and finally....



                            David Ackles - 'American Gothic' - seem to remember that this album had something of a cult following even back in the mid 70s, but I never got around to hearing it, so when this very unspoiled copy turned up in an Oxfam for a not unreasonable I was in. I've only listened the once and I'm not sure I like it, yet I know I'll be listening to it again somehow. In theory. I should like it, it's one of those grand monuments of Americana, like Van Dyke Parks' 'Song Cycle' without the acid haze, like Neil Diamond's more grandiose statements without the schmalz, and overlapping into the realms of Kurt Weill, Randy Newman, David Axelrod, Jacques Brel and Jimmy Webb.

                            Oddly enough it was recorded in England, and 'produced' by Bernie Taupin of all people, but the sleeve or liner give no clues as to the musicians or singers. Maybe the music is the weak point to some extent, it's big and sweeping but grounded in vanilla chords, referencing as it does a number of American musical conventions, but where it does get more adventurous on 'Midnight Carousel' or the closer 'Montana Song', it's really quite moving. It's Ackles' lyrics that carry the album, and you're gripped by his tales from American history. All in all, something like a William Faulkner novel, a bit oddball but curiously gripping and although you won't read it more than a few times in your life, you'll keep it on the shelf. Needs to be eaten whole, so no vids as they just wouldn't work out of context.

                            Back soon...
                            I've been meaning to get a boombox to play old radio and mixtapes too.

                            Comment


                            • #29



                              The shop had had a hip-hop motherlode donation and I got first dibs One of these LLs (I think Mr Smith) has some great stuff on it if you like golden era hip-hop as I do. London Posse's a spare and isn't one that's one me over. Nothing on it comes close to Pass me the Rizla for me. Haven't listened to the Kool G Rap yet. The old(er) school LPs (Shan, Schoolly and Just Ice) didn't do much for me.

                              --------------------



                              Oh yes! I've only listened to about half of these as I've been saving them. The last three tunes on the Marley Marl are as good as it gets for me - Ain't no Halfsteppin, a Masta Ace one (with the Grand Funk sample I think - too tired to look it up), and Chief Rocka by LOTUG. .
                              Great Hip Hop finds. Almost all stone classic stuff. If you like Marley Marl give Kool G Rap, Shan, Just Ice and Schooly School another chance. G Rap especially is killer!

                              What is the Beat Mania?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
                                Madness. Listen to Bogus Man for some UK Krautrock. Groundhogs Split is a fun record as well.

                                I concur. Forget all that Ferry tuxedo rubbish, this lp has some nice tracks. Every Dream a Heartache too.
                                http://soundcloud.com/anthroprophh

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X