April 2017 finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stylesforfree View Post
    Also a nice find but I did just listen to this in its entirety and in all honesty I think its very mediocre. But for 50p it is a hell of a score.
    "The Vulture" and "I Got The" are great, but there's some real stinkers on there if I remember, possibly more so than his other (much cheaper) LPs. Very nice find for 50p!

Comment

Back on the road again so took the wife to the local Antiques center 'Dagfields' near Nantwich where she could have something to eat (they do an old school BHS style steak and kidney pie she loves... YUK!) and look at garden based things and I could browse a few crates. Grabbed these, not at chazza prices but good value and they are both in excellent nick and both educated punts as I've not heard either.

Saw this mentioned on here and it seemed it's a bit marmite from the reaction I saw but I'm hoping it should satisfy that SSW, Americana, Southern vibe I'm on at the moment and I like marmite. EDIT: Well this totally blindsides me Americana check, SSW check but not the southern/country vibe the cover suggests but very grandiose orchestral arrangements which definitely don't earworm you on first listen but you know something is there. I cant say I listened to the lyrics but it comes with the lyric sheet and it will have to get some more airplay as you can tell there will be some reward for perseverance. From what little I've read some site's see this as bit of an unsung classic, it's certainly something. :

I was about to buy 'David Clayton Thomas' second album from 72 which I am always meaning to buy but it was a bit overpriced and the cover was a bit manky but it's a record I know pretty well so it takes the fun out of it so I then spotted this which was in amongst a new pile of records behind the counter and I've never heard it. 'Quad Compatible Stereo Edition' Ahoy!

There's lots of mad records in this book shop and books come to that and he's always open to deals if he's in (just avoid double albums as he doubles the price and writes 'double' on them') so I pretty much diss the rest of the complex. Anyway there are records in most of the units but its mainly over priced mojo, scratched and scuffed and in impossible to browse locations and they make you feel a twat for asking to knock a quid or two off.

There was a guy across the way from the book shop who did football programs and comics alongside records, really nice guy used to play for the Aston Villa academy but he's gone and it's now a coin/stamp shop. There was a guy in there with lots of framed presentation jobs of coinage and the owner was politely trying to tell him they were worth nothing despite him thinking they were worth thousands of pounds 'on ebay'. The owner inquired 'do you have anyone you could pass them down to?'. He wouldn't stop according to Mrs Amidar he kept pulling these frames out of his bag the sort they sell you in magazines and newspapers 'special commemorative collection' and all that jazz. Who knows another 50-100 years they may well be worth a lot more.

Oh and driving an automatic is weird.
      Last edited by amidar; 07-04-2017, 09:19 PM.
      Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Originally posted by amidar View Post
        Oh and driving an automatic is weird.
        Have been driving one for years and nowadays I wonder why anyone would want to go to the trouble of changing gears when you don't really need to.
        "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

I'm vice versa at the mo I keep reaching for the gear stick and keep trying to press an imaginary clutch.

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
          Have been driving one for years and nowadays I wonder why anyone would want to go to the trouble of changing gears when you don't really need to.
          Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Spring-Spring. If you like the Beach Boys... Produced by Brian Wilson and very nice too.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

I would say that this is a quick round-up from me, but it's a bit lengthier than that.

However, it should form a more optimistic counterpoint to the Ken Loach / Alan Clarke bleakness of my recent CSC in as much as to reassure folk that my travails do occasionally pay off.

So, unless you're transfixed by the legend that is Eric Monkman, have a ramble through this lot of twaddle:

Starting with a couple from on Saturday mooch round Newark. Hadn’t had a copy of Valiant Orchestra for ages, so it was nice to find and file that one again. Zacharias is a nice item to dish out in my next round of freebies (this Friday hopefully). Bottom is a scarce bit of femme folk, which I got from Rob’s in one of my regular visits. I’d picked up a bunch of okay mid-priced stuff, but my policy now is to go big on items that I’m unlikely to see in the wild again. Better to have one of those than five so-so items. So Rosie came home with me. Some duff tracks, granted, but when it’s good, it’s lovely.

Top three of these were also from Rob’s (on a different visit). I’d gifted my own copy of Slade to my cousin literally a week before, so it was a bit of a bonus to replace it so quickly for the price of a sandwich (it just needed a clean, but has come out nicely). A Nancy LP that I didn’t have and some interesting fuzz/beat stuff from Singapore (I think?) – which has been rehomed with a Plusser already. Bottom two came off the market in trades. Perhaps surprisingly, both are for me. The Las brings back good memories and isn’t one you see around too much. FNM are my boys and one of the few bands that I really want to see at their own gig (rather than being support on the Sabbath Hyde Park gig), but haven’t got round to.

Some more cheapo chazza buys. This bunch came from Melton Mowbray (I was on a pork pie / sausage roll mission). Top two are doubles and will pop up in the next round of freebies. ‘What A Fool Believes’ is one of my mate’s favourite guilty pleasures tunes, so was a bit of an in-joke (but very well received!). When I got Donald Fagen home, it was warped. Meh.

More chazza fun here. Top left was another from Melton, sort of overly arch SSW stuff, kind of like Carole Bayer-Sager or summat (I ended up bundling it up for trading down the market). The rest came from the chazza near my home-time bus stop. Nostalgia-fest for the freebies pile, Gap Band went to my mate for his party set-list and I’m keeping Dexy’s for the live b-side (although you have to wonder how good ‘Celtic Soul Brothers’ could have been had Rowland stuck with the horns rather than going on the fiddle).

Three more from a visit to Rob’s. To be fair, I had money in my pocket and was struggling to find owt, so over-paid on the Mickey Baker in a fit of indignation. It’s actually a very good VV / VG+ archetypal LP. There’s one on eBay now at a bit more than half what I paid and I’d recommend it highly at that kind of price. Japan I got for my mate as ‘Swing’ is one of their high points. And you can’t go wrong with ‘Sex and Drugs and Rock’n’Roll’ on 12”.

These were picked up after a hospital appointment (only a post-op check-up!). Few from Anarchy and the OST (which is ace and eclectic) from Rob’s. Always nice to get a Ramsey Lewis LP for pennies though.

Some VG+ trading action from two of the gentlest men from North of the Border. Cap doffed to Lee and Andrew. Always a pleasure and my experiences with the pair of you encourage me to keep the faith with VG+ trading each time that I post stuff up and get no nibbles.

The psych–rock comp came from Rob’s a couple of weeks back and I’d have bought it just for the cover, truth be told. The other three were using up some of my trades credit down the market. I decided to extend my Sabs collection, purely for ‘A National Acrobat’ really. Dinosaur Jr went Hove-ward to my mate and Nirvana was for me.

More from the market visit (these from the cheaper boxes, as you can imagine). The Breezy soundtrack is really good, Legrand in one of his groovier jazz-fusion moods, just steering the right side of being a bit ‘Howard Moon’. Not completely convinced by young Herve (one decent beaty track ‘On Verra Bien’ might get another spin). Some nice jazz / easy from Knef and I heard enough from needle-dropping on the Claire Hamill to think that it’s worth hanging on to. Still prefer Mark though.

Never gonna pass up a Moroder 12” really. Rick James was for my mate (with instructions for him to play the intro to ‘Moonchild’). I’d only been reading about Delaney and Bonnie in Mojo days before, so viewed this as serendipity. Barron Knights was actually from a chazza (wasn’t 50p though, but as it was PDSA, I’m not really arsed) and was really bought as trading material.

Finishing up the vinyl purchases with a bit of Fairports action from Rob’s last Friday – I don’t rate my chances of finding their debut for the £8 this cost me any time soon. And, at last, an OG Wendy and Bonnie at a decent price. Someone from Mankunia was doing a suspiciously VG+ selection of sales on eBay and this came in just, JUST, under my maximum bid. At a price that I regard as a bargain. No justification needed, so none is offered.

Also picked these up for 20p each recently. Will be offered in the freebies post as I guessed someone round here must have some gaps in their collection.

And, last and probably least, from a chazza on the same day as I found their only desirable LP, this item that I picked up as part of my rehoming campaign as I could think of maybe two people on here that might want it. Again, pop back on Friday and it should be up for grabs.
              Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Quite a haul there Benicio Del Toffo. Excellent find on the Wendy & Bonnie ...
                "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                  Spring-Spring. If you like the Beach Boys... Produced by Brian Wilson and very nice too.
                  I do like the Beach Boys, so I looked this up immediately. But I detest Tennessee Waltz. I really hope their version is going to be the 1st version I like.
                  "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Some swaps with friends:

Comment

Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
                      And, last and probably least, from a chazza on the same day as I found their only desirable LP, this item that I picked up as part of my rehoming campaign as I could think of maybe two people on here that might want it. Again, pop back on Friday and it should be up for grabs.
                      One of them may already have it! It's a good read but maybe not a keeper for anyone who isn't a fan.
                      The Downstairs Lounge
                      http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
                      http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
                        FNM are my boys and one of the few bands that I really want to see at their own gig (rather than being support on the Sabbath Hyde Park gig), but haven’t got round to.
                        Nice finds Ben, Valiant Orchestra has always eluded me.

The only time I've feared for my life at a gig was at FNM at the Phoenix Festival in 1994, 5, 6? I was a large adolescent, but still... moshpits were not designed for the likes of me.
                        Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Excellent stuff Ben - that Barron Knights LP is a surprisingly tough pull. I know you don't do 'em but the best tracks can be had on 45s. I love that Knef LP, especially 'from here on it got rough'

Gogo - is that Galliard a spare? I think i am the only person in the world who still needs a copy.
                          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
                            I do like the Beach Boys, so I looked this up immediately. But I detest Tennessee Waltz. I really hope their version is going to be the 1st version I like.
                            Great LP, basically Wilson and his wife & sister in law. Worth it for Sweet Mountain alone.

Comment

You may just have to live with it because, even if you don't like their version, it would be madness to miss out on the rest. Check you tube for 'Thinkin' 'Bout You Baby' which is essentially 'Darlin' ' with a different chorus, and a lovely little coda.

Comment

Quite a haul there Benicio Del Toffo. Excellent find on the Wendy & Bonnie ...
                                Yeah Ben, Wendy & Bonnie and String Beat! Nice.
                                See, you don't get those haircuts on your mp3s.

Comment

Working...
                                X