Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

April 2017 finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
    I picked up a few cheeky ones over the Easter break:



    The above selection came from Rob's and, to be honest, apart from the Ramsey Lewis which was a 'minting up' purchase (and even then, I'm still only at VG condition, but it sounds fine), they were all just curiosity punts. Really only got the Kiki Dee to fit in with my fondness for femme vox as I didn't really know the LP at all. I'm late to the party, obviously, so I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted round here when I say this it's a lovely LP (apparently one of the tunes was big on the Northern scene).
    Always had a soft spot for Kiki. A great singer. Wasn't aware of this comp.
    Look out for her self titled album on Sounds Superb/MFP. Cheap as chips. Basically it's her Motown Great Expectations album but has 2 different tracks which are not found anywhere else and are both belters - Oh Be My Love and I'll Try Something New. Both on you tube although Oh Be My Love is mistitled Oh Be My Baby.

    Comment


    • #77
      Just been up to Bangor to drop the stepson at uni, Relics closed but a few chazzas open and picked these up.

      Not listened to any yet bought this for the tracklisting and it's general clubland vibe. Seems to be silly money on discogs for a record that has never sold and 1 person wants. :



      Some Jazz on Black Lion from 1971 but released in 77 which I know is probably going to be Dixieland but you never know. Found in Wales, Surname is 'Welsh' hails from Scotland. :



      Finally this Minty copy of the MFP Mandingo comp will replaced my warped and well played version just needs a seam repair. PVA at the ready! :

      Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

      Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

      Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

      Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

      Comment


      • #78
        Very pleased to pick this up this morning...

        Comment


        • #79
          Cracking find Tom, please don't tell me you picked it up for 50p at a car boot in tip top condition, I'll cry.
          Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

          Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

          Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

          Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by amidar View Post
            Cracking find Tom, please don't tell me you picked it up for 50p at a car boot in tip top condition, I'll cry.
            No, it was £10 - but yes, in excellent condition

            Comment


            • #81
              Ah, yeah I see the sticker, still cheap as, first Oooof of the year from me, nice one!

              Originally posted by Tom B View Post
              No, it was £10 - but yes, in excellent condition
              Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

              Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

              Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

              Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

              Comment


              • #82
                Jumping back to the beginning of the month and a good start to a new car boot summer season.
                The last two years have been hard going at the car boots but on this evidence 2017 maybe a cracker. I know, one swallow doesn't make a summer.

                Good prices too. Most of this was 50p each or less.

                Couldn't say no to these considering the condition and they were only 10p each

                [IMG][/IMG]

                Roy Shurland & His Orchestra (with Little Sparrow on the Steel Pan) - The Big Bamboo. Chuffed to find this. Something of a coincidence as my son was just about to go to the Caribbean for a few weeks on a PhD related trip and starting off in Nassau. Recorded in 1961 at The Big Bamboo Club in Nassau, it's in great condition. Calypso tinged numbers both upbeat and ballad. The title track is surprisingly risque.

                The Sound Of Crazy Otto
                – Best part of this is the sleeve notes on the back cover, for instance. …. Fifteen years training – caput! Otto's tutor, demented and heedless after seeing him at the piano, playing the right hand part with his left hand...... Couldn't wait to hear it, unfortunately it didn't live up to this craziness, Otto just makes some almost off mic crazy sounding utterances now and then.

                The Magic Accordian of Adriano - Sur Le Pave. My second copy of this, just in case I wear my first copy out.

                Bill McGuffie – Latin Overtones
                . Makes for some nice background music. Cover has pretty lady on the carpet with a copy of Playboy. What's not to like?


                Some jazz and stuff

                [IMG][/IMG]

                Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All-Stars – Oboe/Flute Vol 4. The All-Stars include Bud Shank, Max Roach, Buddy Collette, Sonny Clark among others. The oboe flute combination make for some mysterious and vaguely unsettling soundscapes at times. Pleased with this for 25p!

                Stan Getz with Laurindo Almeida. The two merge in an album of pulsing Latin Beauty so the back cover states. Correctly.

                Richie Havens – Something Else Again. Rickie is always worth the admission price.

                Count Basie – Breakfast Dance and Barbecue. Barbecue for breakfast?

                Reggae (mostly)!

                [IMG][/IMG]

                Winston Scotland – Buttercup
                The Maytals – Johnny Cool Man
                Junior Byles – Beat Down Babylon

                All the above certified JA originals by the lady seller. Apparently her brother lived in Jamaica for a while and she used to visit for holidays. Always good to get some provenance.
                Lloyd & Joy – Back To Africa. Actually Alton Ellis on vocal apparently.
                The Locomotive – Broken Heart. A side is quite nice. B side has to be the worst ever version of Rudy A Message To You.
                James Brown – Mother Popcorn

                78s!

                [IMG][/IMG]

                Jo Stafford – Don't Worry 'bout Me / A-round The Corner. Very nice, love Jo Stafford's voice.
                Pee Wee Hunt & His Orchestra – Twelfth Street Rag
                Josh White – Black Girl


                More 45s. Another fuzzy pic.

                [IMG][/IMG]

                From a box of very random stuff. The two big holes were the only US 45s from memory and are both kiddie soul, and weirdly both share a release number of 533. The Eight Minutes – Looking For A Brand New Game , Leonard 'lil Man' Kaigler – I Think It's A Big One Coming (unfortunate title. Both are get the thumbs up from me.

                TRB – Up Against The Wall. Don't think I already have this. Early TRB have always been a favourite with me, memories of Anti Nazi League events.

                The CBS one is Springsteen Hungry Heart. Brucey – ugh! But sold on ebay this might pay for the others,

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by candiman View Post

                  TRB – Up Against The Wall. Don't think I already have this. Early TRB have always been a favourite with me, memories of Anti Nazi League events.
                  Never a fan of TRB but, like you, it doesn't half take me back when I see one of their records. As you say Anti Nazi League gigs, Rock Against Racism', that kind of thing. I do have a bit of a soft spot for 'Glad To Be Gay'.
                  "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                    I do have a bit of a soft spot for 'Glad To Be Gay'.
                    Me too.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                      No, it was £10 - but yes, in excellent condition
                      Now thats worth getting up early for a car boot , find of the year

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Been after this 7" for a long, long time now. Glad to finally be able to take it off the want list.
                        'I have avoided competitive situations because I am not a baboon'

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          @ Candiman. I love the other side of Winston Scotland- a happy sound with a great trombone line. Mine's on Punch.
                          record licker

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Had the afternoon off last Friday, so visited a couple of places that I don't ordinarily get chance to hit.




                            The first three here came from Music Inn (jazz shop in Nottingham, sells mostly CDs, but has a few bits of vinyl too). Took a chance on the Jazz Composer's Orchestra as I wasn't familiar with it. We perhaps should have remained strangers. While it's not skronk, is still far too 'free' for me and goes straight in the 'Out' pile. I'll always pick up spares of the better NYJO LPs for cheap. I figured someone round here might want it for 'Cockpit' if nowt else. Yes, James, typical that I'd stumble on another Bobby Darin. And a very reasonably priced Smiths 12" off t'Bay.





                            Top two were cheapies from Anarchy. I appear to be reliving my early 20s with the indie / alt-rock (I reckon they should bring back The Chart Show). Happy to add to my Joni collection if I see titles cheap enough. Bottom two were a very kind donation from Melter - much obliged mate, but you really didn't need to! Not that I'm mithering about ticking another box off the Wants list, plus rocking out to FNM. Bang.





                            These last four came from Rob's. Dead chuffed to get Humble Pie's debut for a tenner, not mithered about the custom art-work - the vinyl is fine! Minim was a punt in the dark, I thought there was acid-folk potential, but it's a bit twee and not a million miles from Peter, Paul and Mary stuff, kind of overly sanitised, should be able to rehome it via the market though. As I'm currently reading Graham Nash's autobiography on my commute, I decided that my CSN / CSNY / Buffalo Springfield game was pitiful, so took the opportunity to make some inroads (unfortunately, not for pennies, but hey-ho).


                            That was enough expenditure to underline my previously taken decision not to bother with RSD. I've described it as the vinyl collector's Christmas. And, like Christmas, it started with its heart in the right place, with the best of intentions and has just been co-opted into a cynical marketing / cash-generating exercise (and the Grip & Flip crew are as much to blame as the record labels). That said, I can still see me caving in and buying 'Cracked Actor' at some point. But I am both weak and a hypocrite!
                            Jet Boy stole my baby.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post

                              The first three here came from Music Inn (jazz shop in Nottingham, sells mostly CDs, but has a few bits of vinyl too).
                              Bloody hell, Music Inn's still open?
                              That place makes Rob's look like a pop-up shop. I used to go in in the 80s and I'd often find one, just one, good record among the Muggsy Spaniers.
                              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by candiman View Post
                                Jumping back to the beginning of the month and a good start to a new car boot summer season.
                                The last two years have been hard going at the car boots but on this evidence 2017 maybe a cracker. I know, one swallow doesn't make a summer.

                                Good prices too. Most of this was 50p each or less.

                                Couldn't say no to these considering the condition and they were only 10p each

                                [IMG][/IMG]

                                Roy Shurland & His Orchestra (with Little Sparrow on the Steel Pan) - The Big Bamboo. Chuffed to find this. Something of a coincidence as my son was just about to go to the Caribbean for a few weeks on a PhD related trip and starting off in Nassau. Recorded in 1961 at The Big Bamboo Club in Nassau, it's in great condition. Calypso tinged numbers both upbeat and ballad. The title track is surprisingly risque.

                                The Sound Of Crazy Otto
                                – Best part of this is the sleeve notes on the back cover, for instance. …. Fifteen years training – caput! Otto's tutor, demented and heedless after seeing him at the piano, playing the right hand part with his left hand...... Couldn't wait to hear it, unfortunately it didn't live up to this craziness, Otto just makes some almost off mic crazy sounding utterances now and then.

                                The Magic Accordian of Adriano - Sur Le Pave. My second copy of this, just in case I wear my first copy out.

                                Bill McGuffie – Latin Overtones
                                . Makes for some nice background music. Cover has pretty lady on the carpet with a copy of Playboy. What's not to like?


                                Some jazz and stuff

                                [IMG][/IMG]

                                Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All-Stars – Oboe/Flute Vol 4. The All-Stars include Bud Shank, Max Roach, Buddy Collette, Sonny Clark among others. The oboe flute combination make for some mysterious and vaguely unsettling soundscapes at times. Pleased with this for 25p!

                                Stan Getz with Laurindo Almeida. The two merge in an album of pulsing Latin Beauty so the back cover states. Correctly.

                                Richie Havens – Something Else Again. Rickie is always worth the admission price.

                                Count Basie – Breakfast Dance and Barbecue. Barbecue for breakfast?

                                Reggae (mostly)!

                                [IMG][/IMG]

                                Winston Scotland – Buttercup
                                The Maytals – Johnny Cool Man
                                Junior Byles – Beat Down Babylon

                                All the above certified JA originals by the lady seller. Apparently her brother lived in Jamaica for a while and she used to visit for holidays. Always good to get some provenance.
                                Lloyd & Joy – Back To Africa. Actually Alton Ellis on vocal apparently.
                                The Locomotive – Broken Heart. A side is quite nice. B side has to be the worst ever version of Rudy A Message To You.
                                James Brown – Mother Popcorn

                                78s!

                                [IMG][/IMG]

                                Jo Stafford – Don't Worry 'bout Me / A-round The Corner. Very nice, love Jo Stafford's voice.
                                Pee Wee Hunt & His Orchestra – Twelfth Street Rag
                                Josh White – Black Girl


                                More 45s. Another fuzzy pic.

                                [IMG][/IMG]

                                From a box of very random stuff. The two big holes were the only US 45s from memory and are both kiddie soul, and weirdly both share a release number of 533. The Eight Minutes – Looking For A Brand New Game , Leonard 'lil Man' Kaigler – I Think It's A Big One Coming (unfortunate title. Both are get the thumbs up from me.

                                TRB – Up Against The Wall. Don't think I already have this. Early TRB have always been a favourite with me, memories of Anti Nazi League events.

                                The CBS one is Springsteen Hungry Heart. Brucey – ugh! But sold on ebay this might pay for the others,
                                Aren't you glad I told the car boot was on that week
                                http://soundcloud.com/anthroprophh

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X