May 2017 Finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by candiman View Post

Best Of British - Looking Out My Back Door. Includes plenty of covers - e.g. Run Around Sue, Spanish Harlem, You Make Me Feel Brand New, Big Seven(!). Back sleeve is pretty racy. It is also signed. The exact make up of this group is a bit puzzling, the listed personnel don't entirely match the signatures, and there are two ladies featured in the cover pics but only one listed (Bev Guyard, who seems quite versatile, as well as getting her kit off in the picture she plays guitar, sings, and is responsible for "other gutteral nises". I am building my anticipation up for this one.
    I reckon Bev is a bloke (who was replaced by Tim Livehero5 by the time your record was signed) and the two women are models. This set-up often happens on Colombian and Venezuelan records , too, with the modelling agency often getting a sleeve credit.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
      I reckon Bev is a bloke (who was replaced by Tim Livehero5 by the time your record was signed) and the two women are models. This set-up often happens on Colombian and Venezuelan records , too, with the modelling agency often getting a sleeve credit.
      That makes sense. I will listen closely for female voices. I was especially looking forward to "her" guttural utterances too (whilst imagining what she might not be wearing )

Comment

I got all excited when I saw the cover. I'm guessing he talks on it - B*mmer!
        I imagined just the sound of the reel, the plonk of the fly on the water, babbling brook, waterfowl, insects. If it had been just that it would have been a stone classic.
        Click of bale arm.
        Swish.
        "Fuck"
        Frantic reeling. Sound of tree branch shaking with end tackle caught in it.
        "Come ON you fucker."
        Crack of line snapping.
        "Cockholes"
        Five minutes of insects, birdsong, tackle box rummaging, swearing as knot comes undone, humming of "Womaniser" by Britney Spears.
        Click of bale arm.
        Swish.
        Splash
        Tweet Tweet
        Buzz, chirp
        "Womaniser woman womaniser you're a womaniser."
        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

after looking at the tracklisting on Discogs there is "The Fishin' Song" which does have some sort of angling noise throughout (the reel?)

still terrible though

Comment

Best Of British - Looking Out My Back Door. Includes plenty of covers - e.g. Run Around Sue, Spanish Harlem, You Make Me Feel Brand New, Big Seven(!). Back sleeve is pretty racy. It is also signed. The exact make up of this group is a bit puzzling, the listed personnel don't entirely match the signatures, and there are two ladies featured in the cover pics but only one listed (Bev Guyard, who seems quite versatile, as well as getting her kit off in the picture she plays guitar, sings, and is responsible for "other gutteral nises". I am building my anticipation up for this one.
            Right, it has had a clean, and it has had a play

Thoughts
            1 It needs another clean (but its getting there).
            2 On first listen Summer In The City is the best track by a mile. Some proper electric guitar and really much more rocked and fuzzed out than anything else on the album. If I Promise had promise with a psychy organ flitting in and out but it tails off towards the end. This organ has some fleeting appearances elsewhere and should really have featured more.
            3 On the whole it starts in a poppy C&W vein but then sort of wanders around the genres from Big Seven on but is pretty lame really. Big Seven is fun, Shaving Cream is sort of cringeworthy (in the lyrics Shaving Cream = Sh*t, if it's a cover I don't know it).
            4 Little Egypt is not a stunning version (but then I didn't know this so I went to YouTube where I found the Coasters version. Probably unfair in comparing it to the Coasters).
            5 Babycart you are right, not a sniff of a female.
            6 Will get another play after another clean and on first listen is a keeper for Summer In The City, with If I Promise and Big Seven on the subs bench.

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
              after looking at the tracklisting on Discogs there is "The Fishin' Song" which does have some sort of angling noise throughout (the reel?)
              Yep , a centre pin, so authentic fly fishing.

Comment

Right, it has had a clean, and it has had a play

Thoughts
                1 It needs another clean (but its getting there).
                2 On first listen Summer In The City is the best track by a mile. Some proper electric guitar and really much more rocked and fuzzed out than anything else on the album. If I Promise had promise with a psychy organ flitting in and out but it tails off towards the end. This organ has some fleeting appearances elsewhere and should really have featured more.
                3 On the whole it starts in a poppy C&W vein but then sort of wanders around the genres from Big Seven on but is pretty lame really. Big Seven is fun, Shaving Cream is sort of cringeworthy (in the lyrics Shaving Cream = Sh*t, if it's a cover I don't know it).
                4 Little Egypt is not a stunning version (but then I didn't know this so I went to YouTube where I found the Coasters version. Probably unfair in comparing it to the Coasters).
                5 Babycart you are right, not a sniff of a female.
                6 Will get another play after another clean and on first listen is a keeper for Summer In The City, with If I Promise and Big Seven on the subs bench.
                Thanks for this! Appreciate the effort...
                In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Shaving Cream[/I] is sort of cringeworthy (in the lyrics Shaving Cream = Sh*t, if it's a cover I don't know it).
                  Count your blessings. The original was on AM radio in the USA in the 70s, and is likewise dismal.
                  https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

From the R&R slanted Record Fair in town last weekend. I go to dig for Soul but there is very little of that nowadays Every time I go I think it will probably be the last time as there seems to be no new sellers or stock, but of course I go again and always manage to find more worth picking up. Most of the records here I have probably flicked through many times before but each time I go I take a stack and listen on the portable and find something The prices get cheaper every time too which is a bonus.

The pick of the bunch here is The Vareeations – Foolish One. One of those play on repeat records.

Ventured to the Cheddar car boot on Sunday. My first time there, it's close to an hour's drive for me but I was dropping my daughter off at the airport for an early flight so was more than half way there. By far the biggest booter I have been to. Almost overwhelming, lots of interesting junk, but not many records (I didn't know the lie of the land, faces etc but was there early enough to think I didn't miss that much, could be wrong of course)

This was my meagre haul

The Dudley Moore Trio – Today. Lots of worthwhile tracks on this Waterloo being my favourite on first listen.
                    Bryan Ferry – Another Time Antother Place. I remain a big fan of Roxy Music (first few albums especially) Have been gradually picking up Ferry's solo offerings in recent years This one is in great nick Some well known ones on here but hadn't heard his take on You Are My Sunshine before and I'm liking it.
                    Tom Jones – I'll Never Fall In Love Again. Not one of his R&B monsters but great all the same.
                    The BBC one is Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads theme. Aaah – nostalgia.
                    The 78 is Jackie Wilson – Reet Petite Looks scuffed but hopeful it will not sound trashed. (I really must have a 78 evening soon).

Comment

A few from my recent 400 7s haul:

Masaaki Hirao 平尾昌章 Running Bear EA109 EP

Hiroko Ogi 扇 ひろ子 - 仁義 (Columbia - SAS 1283) 7", Single 1969

Chiemi Eri very early EP

Toshiyuki Miyama & New Herd Union Records US-663-J
                      "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Ha, nice find bongo, I'm going to have to needle drop now and find out whether or not some tech savvy angler has overdubbed that reeling and a'casting noise(s). You get the idea with that record though and it got so bad I dared not venture on to side 2.

Cheers for your thoughts Candiman one for a future swap then I guess.

In other news I love that 'face to face' record I picked up. It's so cheesy Jesus it's infectious.
                        Last edited by amidar; 19-05-2017, 08:05 AM. Reason: spellcheck
                        Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Selected highlights from what is turning into a good month!

Still don't believe this happened:

Boogie raer and a library in another charity

Bumped into a an old friend...'do you still collect records? I have a load I want to get rid of'. I took around 40 and going back next week. Indie classics a go-go! JD, MBV, the Fall, Stone Roses etc...

Fuz and I went for a dig in a lock up this week. Here are some of the highlights.

and here's a couple of other psychy things

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Sorry about the friggin' massive pics
                            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                              Phwoar!!!! Nice pair ................... of spirals!!
                              "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

That Kraftwerk swirl for £1.99 is a mega steal, would love to find that to replace my perfectly fine spaceship.

Comment

Working...
                                X