X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 June Finds

A happy hot June to you all ...

I'm enjoying this VERY much:

Jazz Q Praha ‎– Pozorovatelna (The Watch-Tower) (1973) Panton ‎11 0285 LP CZ

It was a shot in the dark for me ... is all their stuff this good?
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

I have had loads coming in the last month or so. Haven't had time to do a proper Finds post but here's a sample. Got this home yesterday.
    It's a Norwegian press of Nirvana - Tiny Goddess with Picture sleeve. Can't find anything at all about it on the net. Well it's on Discogs now as I added it to the database.

It turned up on Tradera last weekend. Description was not great, and it was a fairly new seller.
    I put in an optimistic max bid, can't bother to do the sniping thing anymore, and was expecting it to go ballistic. But it didn't, and I won it for £18.
    Best thing was, the seller was located in Ystad where my wife works at the council. So I mailed her and asked if my wife could pick it up. Turned out the seller also worked for the council at another department, so it was hand-delivered to my wife's desk!

Let's see if it works with a photo shared with Google!

------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

No, doesnt work with Google...
      Back to Photobucket...
      ------------------------------------------------------
      "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
        A happy hot June to you all ...

I'm enjoying this VERY much:

Jazz Q Praha ‎– Pozorovatelna (The Watch-Tower) (1973) Panton ‎11 0285 LP CZ

It was a shot in the dark for me ... is all their stuff this good?
        This is legendary

https://www.discogs.com/Jazz-Q-Symbi...elease/8488105
        sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Originally posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
          This is legendary
          Care to say why?

There's something I can't quite put my finger on as to why I like the Watch Tower album so much ... it's got a slightly menacing atmosphere ...

I've stuck your recommendation on my wants list ... wonder if I'll ever see it ... I'll ask the guy who sold me the Watch Tower ...
          "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

1st of June bought off of my local regular flea market - scavenged out of cheap boxes.

Ivory Joe Hunter - Since I Met You Baby
            Huey Piano Smith & The Clowns - Don't You Just Know It
            Amos Milburn - One Scotch One Bourbon One Beer (as per record law, the most valuable is in the worst condition, plays great though,small mercies)
            Fats Domino - Carry On Rockin Pt2.
            Owen Gray - Mash It
            The Velvettes - These Things Will Keep Me Loving You
            Marvin Gaye - You
            Playthings - Stop What You're Doing
            Johns Radio - Song In My Head (another local record Ric Rac studios, great catchy synt pop '82)
            Ernie K Doe - Mother In Law
            Shirley and Lee - I'll Do it
            Viola Wills - I've got to have all Of You
            Patrice Rushen - Haven't You Heard ( Infectious,heavy rotation at the mo)
            record licker

Comment

vinyl finds this week, I didn't buy most of the albums below - only one in fact, but I did pick up a lovely single

The cars line up for the mid-week car boot watched by an eager punter

I only found one thing apart from some stuff for the car, this foxy single that was still in it's mailer envelope
              and was only 50p - it looks like it has never been played, though I am a bit of a sucker for these kind of records!

I did a tip shop trip to the darkest Kettering/Corby hunting grounds but didn't turn up much
              except for some cheesecake sleeves for organs (?!) which I kindly left for some other lucky digger.

have you ever found yourself feeling a little transparent? then the following album could be your salvation

I've seen a few choir records in my time, but never signed by the whole choir on the back!

popping into a couple of charity shops on my way home (as I tend to do)
              I was quite surprised to see a high pricing system going on for the records - which are coming back, did you know?

compared to Boy George, the one below was probably a bit of a bargain

next door they had a much more sensible pricing structure

luckily I did find one thing in the box

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

------~o00o-----//{ ´°`(_)´°` }\\-----o00o~------

Comment

fox record - nuts! I think anyone in a city could record their own these days. does it include the noise that sounds like the scream of someone being brutally murdered? that's always a fun one to hear in the middle of the night.

a few not so recent buys and finds:

new-ish stuff/reissues:
                  Midori Takada
                  Jon Brooks - not played yet, just listening now, sounds a lot more ambient than normal
                  Children of Alice - remaining Broadcast members project - this is a bit like "Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age", not sure if it's a keeper yet. Also amazing silver cover, that shows every fingerprint or crease
                  Armancio D'Silva - Integration
                  Plinth - Wintersongs - actually bought this back at new year I think, was considering buying it anyway, and then label had a half-price sale on Bandcamp. Michael Tanner thing. tinkly lovely instrumentals
                  Memory Drawings - Music For Another Loss - Norman records' label reissue of a CD, the guy from Hood who also did the Declining Winter LP

The Power Pack - Soul Cure - 20 quid on Discogs seemed a good price for one of the harder to find VV classics. Instrumental soul covers - Think I was expecting it to be more funky. It's not bad, but all that ebay "HUGE BREAKS! MOHAWKS" type hyping is definitely wrong
                  Chris Hinze - Bacharach Bravo! - never heard of this, but a seller had it listed. been recommended here once or twice. solid album of flute tootling, good arrangements. Had an eye out for some of his other albums for a while, any recommendations?
                  StereoAction Orchestra - Hits of the Hits - think I may be picking up board member IAN's cast offs? anyway, this is nice, even some of the potential duffers like "Both Sides Now" are given quite a beaty treatment.
                  Around the World With Dave Nicholas at the Hammond - don't see many Butlins type records round here (a lot more Spanish package-holiday records - Y Viva España etc) Expected this to be rubbish, and it is. But there are one or two crazy moments, like the wild "wind" noises on The Skye Boat Song
                  Eric Winstone - The Big Band Sound - not sure what the relevance of the surfer is. Disappointing after finding his good 007 one last year, but the nice version of "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" is a bright spot
                  The Cascading Strings - Melodies of Japan - was actually looking for this, at least the original 60s copy, but picked up this Contour reissue for 50p. Don't think I'll bother now looking further, the "cascading strings" description is right - some good intros though, but then the strings swamp things. Amusing how John Gregory is just referred to as "Gregory" on the sleeve

Never noticed much Christian stuff before, but seem to have seen a lot lately.
                  John Fischer - Still Life - his first (from '69) was recommended either here or Waxidermy, this is his second (from '75). Accomplished sort of adult pop/rock stuff, nice production etc, but not my thing. Maybe one for the Elton John fans
                  Lou Hayles - Don't Hide Away - must have been recommended somewhere, there are a few high priced sales for this. Sounds alright (recorded at Morgan Studios), but not a keeper. All up on youtube if anyone's interested.
                  The Lighthouse In Concert - some US theatre/music/dance troupe, has it's moments, and is a bit more "out there" than the rest, but also not a keeper
                  Cloud - three albums. there's some nice moments, and the playing and singing's good, but only couple of good tracks.
                  There were a few more albums as well, worse than this lot. I think I just don't like this kind of Christian music (from the evangelical/charismatic type churches). The lyrics are usually pretty bad. Give me some good (old) gospel any day

Roger Nicholson - The Gentle Sound of the Dulcimer - freebie from the very generous Funktionnaire. I love dulcimers. Filed next to "The Unique Sound Of the Psaltery" (not sure how many more in this Argo series there are, there's a flamenco one, a balalaika one, and a harmonica one (ugh) listed on Discogs)
                  Muckram Wakes - A Map of Derbyshire - they've been putting out a folk collection in a local Oxfam, not seen anything very exciting and no real bargains, but have picked up this and another Trailer LP earlier in the year for much less than they normally go for. Enjoyed most things I've heard so far on Trailer. This has a drill hole (pretty rare on UK records I think) and done with the hardcore "through the label" method
                  More evidence of picking up IAN's donations, I think...? The Lancashire Hustlers LPs. Really liked the first track on "What Made Him Run" but wasn't sure on the rest so never bought it at the time. Felt guilty picking these up and did consider leaving them for someone who hasn't heard of them. Really enjoyed the "Adventure" album though.

Comment

Was your Midori Takada okay? There were a lot of comments on discogs about how awful the pressing was. I bought one and thought what a great pressing it was until I reached the last track on side two. Terrible, absolutely shocking. Repeated sounds of someone dragging a chair across a floor. It had to go back. I did end up with an okay one but I couldn't see how such a poor pressing could be made in this day and age- especially as they do an 'Audiophile' pressing as well.
                    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Didn't notice anything other than a few very faint ticks on mine. Looked like it was going to have an edge warp, but turned out fine when I opened the shrinkwrap.

Was in Sidmouth last week. Nice little seaside town, with usual coastal problem of being full of old people, and everything closing at 5pm, what with it being outside civilisation, i.e. not in London.

I counted 9 charity shops (the Oxfam on Google maps closed last year), records in 5 of them I think. Also a couple of antique/junk shops, one had some records.

Primas Stefan - Gypsy Camp Fires - better than the other "gypsy" records I've found recently (too "light orchestral" sounding), liner notes are good and denote the Hungarian and Romanian tunes. Still not authentic though, the WRC liner notes actually admit it's the lead violinist of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Probably not a keeper.
                      Axminster School Folk Society - they made an EP that seems to go for good money, but this is just a school choir singing "Kum Ba Ya" and "This Little Light Of Mine". Was hoping the version of "Morningtown Ride" would make it a keeper, but no. Someone managed to get 20 quid for it on Discogs though!
                      Listen, Move and Dance Vol 4 - seriously battered, but never found one before. A-side various percussion/drumming, B-side synths and electronics
                      Mike Sammes Singers - Our Love Story - purged my Mike Sammes Singers records years ago, but never had this one. There's a nice "Scarborough Fair" and a groovy Hymn's A Swingin' style "Spinning Wheel".

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post

Around the World With Dave Nicholas at the Hammond - don't see many Butlins type records round here (a lot more Spanish package-holiday records - Y Viva España etc) Expected this to be rubbish, and it is. But there are one or two crazy moments, like the wild "wind" noises on The Skye Boat Song
                        Top bus action!
                        The Downstairs Lounge
                        http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
                        http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

Originally posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
                          Top bus action!
                          I normally pass on Hammond medley albums, unless there's some funky titles listed, but the cover was a big draw on this one. It's not clear from the sleeve which one is Dave Nicholas - the driver? guess he's not the redcoat in the short skirt
                          Last edited by bongolia; 05-06-2017, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Last May I was in Paris and after in Serbia:

Comment

Wow some great looking stuff there!

Comment

Working...
                              X