2017 July Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 July Finds

I'll kick this one off as I did my first car boot for a couple of years this morning. There was nothing much there and a dealer who always get's there silly early with a stall and hoovers up a lot of stuff but I found this in a box with weird mixture of Russian Beatles and Stones boots and various East European records an odd selection of records to find in a field in Cheshire. Anyway found this which I'm sure I picked up from a blog sometime or maybe the Gnosis website when I was on a huge prog tip so reading about such things.

Bit of a tatty cover but the record looks EX although it's playing with crackle so I'll give it a clean after I've played it through and replace the annoying plastic bag sleeve.

Locomotiv GT ‎– Locomotiv GT

And from another stall.

African Head Charge ‎– In Pursuit Of Shashamane Land
    Minty copy of the usual AHC Dub Shenanigans.

Nothing cheap but nothing silly expensive so including the 3 pound entrance fee (yep takes the...) spent 15 squid.
    Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

smiths overload from a job lot purchase this morning

Comment

Various bits and bobs, helped by some friends having a wedding in Sheffield very near a charity shop and a record shop. How very considerate of them!

The Barron Knights and The Luton Town Squad ‎– Hatters, Hatters:

Tomfoolery ‎– The Words, Music And Lyrics Of Tom Lehrer:

Noel Murphy ‎– Another Round:

Michael Barrymore ‎– Too Much For One Heart:

Mae West ‎– The Fabulous Mae West:

Jimmy Jones / Peter London / Peter Hoyle ‎– Live At The Montague Arms Volume One:

Jimmy Jones / Peter London / Peter Hoyle ‎– Live At The Montague Arms Volume Two:

Jimmy Jones / Peter London / Peter Hoyle ‎– Live At The Montague Arms Volume Three:

Jimmy Logan ‎– Loganberry Pie:

Jack Parnell And His Orchestra ‎– More TV Times Top TV Themes:

Various ‎– The Day War Broke Out:

Danny La Rue ‎– Hello Danny:

Brendan Grace ‎– The Dutchman:

Andy Cameron ‎– We're On The March Again:

Russ Abbot - Let's Go To The Disco:

The Downstairs Lounge
      http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
      http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

Originally posted by amidar View Post

Nothing cheap but nothing silly expensive so including the 3 pound entrance fee (yep takes the...) spent 15 squid.
        I didn't know you have to pay to get into a car boot sale. Is that normal?
        "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
          Various bits and bobs, helped by some friends having a wedding in Sheffield very near a charity shop and a record shop. How very considerate of them!
          I have nothing but admiration for your single minded pursuit of this stuff. I was going to write 'crap' instead of stuff but one man's stuff is another man's crap and vice versa. It can't be easy handing over money for, say, a Russ Abbot record, though.
          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Quick (pfffft!) round-up from me. All acquired from the usual sources (I don't vary my game much these days, I'm the Big Sam of record collecting!). The regular visits to Rob's on Friday afternoons, as many mooches round charity shops as I can find time for and the odd lapse of willpower online.

The above came from a quick potter around the charity shops of Melton Mowbray. A few items of pure canon fodder, purely for the intention of lobbing in the next round of freebies. I’m hanging on to the disco moves of John Davis and his Monster Orchestra, obviously.

More charity shop stuff. The David Snell LPs are so close to being keepers, but my decreasing amount of space compels me to be honest about the amount of turntable time that they’re likely to get. They’re both pure VV / VG+ fodder, but the Sounds Harpy one is actually more my thing, with the version of ‘Take Five’ being particularly nice, but they’re both a bit too ‘easy’ to hang on to. Even at 50p, the Bells LP has left me feeling robbed, awful. BBC TV Themes is a VV classic, again, pennies for the charity and a nice freebie for someone.

Again, all charity shop purchases. Spare of ‘The Orange Album’ from RSPCA in Newark, spare of Betty Lou Mills from a Christian chazza also in Newark and a couple of 12”s from BHF near where I get my bus from work. That disco / boogie collection clearly still being drip-fed into the shop as every week or so, there’s another 40-50 12”s, which seem to get thinned out quite quickly, so there must be other disco fans hitting the shop. My knowledge of this stuff isn’t exactly deep, so I’m getting as many misses as hits, but it’s fun taking chances. I quite like the Poussez 12” as it goes and the Spandau is for my mate (bit of an in-joke relating to ‘Musclebound’ – the B-side).

More 12”s from the same chazza. The Cheryl Barnes is awful, Free Expression (a Bobby O production) is a funky keeper, Numan – nuff said, and Burundi Black could be dropped in all sorts of sets and still work.

Some trading action with Mr Divine (always a pleasure, never a chore) brought me this little batch. A VV classic which I’ve never seen in the wild, nice to get my grubbies on that one. Breeders EP which I kind of picked up for my mate, but now have a hankering to hang on to – I’d arm wrestle him for it, but I’m shit at arm- wrestling. Nice Legrand OST with the man McQueen, quite a bit more avant-garde and wibbly than you’d expect from Legrand. Reminds me that I need to get the OST of ‘Bullitt’ (I know, I know, the rest of you have already had a copy for years, I’m ashamed of myself). And rounded off with another from the VV / VG+ canon. As the options for trading on the board seem to dwindle by the week, the beacons of hope glow from over the border……

Some acquisitions from Rob’s a couple of weeks back. Random country LP that had a version of ‘Proud Mary’ that I wanted to check, Rob chucked it in for free and even for free, I feel violated. Truly dreadful and had to be ‘taken out of circulation’. Cheapo copy of Toto for my mate. Jazz LP that is mostly that bit too straight for me, but there’s one killer tune called ‘Patience’, which means I absolutely have to hang on to it. Astrud Gilberto on Perception, which I’m sure I’ve had before (although maybe that was a reissue) and regretted letting go. On this outing, I have to say that the more recognisably Latin (and particularly the tunes sung in Portuguese) work far better than those where she’s trying to update her sound too much. Definite keeper though.

Some more picked up from Rob’s this Friday gone. Dutch comp which looked really promising, but isn’t really doing it for me – consigned to the ‘Out’ pile and will likely appear in the next round of freebies. Ace bit of Dom Um Romao, just wall-to-wall Latin bangers, cheapest (£4) thing I bought on Friday and easily the best. And the 80s Fela comp with some absolute stormers on it. When settling up with Rob, I suspected that I was overpaying for this LP, but was in a reckless kinda mood. In hindsight, it was money well spent as this could send me off on a mission. I’ve never really paid much attention to Fela and it’s a definite blind spot that I should make efforts to address. Am also leaving that Selectadisc sticker in situ, just out of sentiment.

Nipped to Grantham yesterday morning as Brian was down the market on his monthly visit. The only thing I could find this week was the Laurie Johnson LP, which has been lurking on / sliding inexorably down my Wants list for several years. Now that I’ve got it and have given it a spin, have to say, quite underwhelmed. However, I suspect that needle-dropping doesn’t do it any favours and I’m sure it was conceived with the intention that it would be listened to as a singular, flowing piece, so I’ll try to do that, rather than just bang it in the Trades pile. After that, I popped in to see Dave at Time Machine and had a quick rummage. Picked out the ATCQ, which I played today out of pure nostalgia and was transported in Proustian fashion back to 1990/91 and a certain young lady………………sigh. Will probably push this along (!) though as the reminiscing has been done. Found the Alfie OST under the racks, not in mint condition, but cool as fook. Couple of Cocteaus bits, I’m giving them a try now after they completely passed me by as a young ‘un. Very kindly, Dave charged me a big £11 for those four items. I’ll have to go for another rummage some day.

And finally, online purchases. Nice cheap Joni Live DBLP off eBay - needs a good clean, so haven’t had chance to sort it / play it yet, but the YouTube clips I’ve seen from this period are ace, if a little obviously gakked up. Never seen the final Mandingo LP anywhere in the wild, ever. So, when I absent mindedly stumbled on a decently priced copy on Discogs, it was a no-brainer. Bit more of an overt disco influence compared to the predecessors and feels like there’s some DeWolfe crossover, but it’s still got some classics on there. Plus, the connection to the Sound Gallery comps has emotional resonance for me as those comps were a huge influence on getting me into this VV / VG+ type music. Nicely priced Numan 12”, no explanation needed. And finally, I’m on a mission to get all the good Tim Buckley LPs without spending much money and this copy of ‘Happy Sad’ was nice and cheap. Lovely, lovely album for a sunny Sunday afternoon. How I’m going to get ‘Starsailor’ without coughing up too much is quite another matter. Leave it with me though………….
            Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Think photobucket wants you to now pay a subscription to share photos ....

Comment

Yeah, I read that the other day and switched to Imgur which worked really well after my obligatory 5 minutes stumbling around

Comment

Ah, got you.

Don't recall Photobucket emailing me, or flashing owt up when I was online. Then again, I'd only delete emails from them without viewing them anyway.

They can shite for their subscription. Imgur here I come.
                  Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                    I have nothing but admiration for your single minded pursuit of this stuff. I was going to write 'crap' instead of stuff but one man's stuff is another man's crap and vice versa. It can't be easy handing over money for, say, a Russ Abbot record, though.
                    I find it easy as it's normally extremely cheap! The vinyl boom seems to have bypassed my area of expertise with one or two exceptions. I can't believe I didn't actually own that Russ record. The Jimmy Logan one I have been after for years.
                    The Downstairs Lounge
                    http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
                    http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
                      Ah, got you.

Don't recall Photobucket emailing me, or flashing owt up when I was online. Then again, I'd only delete emails from them without viewing them anyway.

If you have any probs with that I use flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
                        Ah, got you.

Links to the above finds, after a quick run at Imgur:

Fingers crossed...........
                        Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Some nice looking finds there Ben. I read somewhere that photobucket are charging $400 subscription to host images which are then posted on a third party site (predominantly blogs and forums). Getting quite a bit of negative press online

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                            I didn't know you have to pay to get into a car boot sale. Is that normal?
                            The farmer who runs this one is the biggest cnut going. I broke down once driving on (clutch link on a fiat) so I waved out for help and he was straight out in his landrover to give me a tow only stopping to make me pay at the gate! If he catches people parking outside and walking on he does his nut and chases them away 'get out of it' etc. Nuts although to be fair he's not raised the price for a few years, he used to do so every season. He's bloody loaded as he must own and probably sold a lot of land around Alderley Edge, Wilmslow.

Your'e right though most charge a quid tops or nothing at all.
                            Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Originally posted by amidar View Post
                              I broke down once driving on (clutch link on a fiat) so I waved out for help and he was straight out in his landrover to give me a tow only stopping to make me pay at the gate! .
                              I think that's fair enough. Otherwise everyone would be pretending to break down and get a free tow into the bootsale.
                              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X