At last! a new trades list from me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At last! a new trades list from me.

Trade with me and you'll probably get a copy of the (cough cough) XMAS MIX I'm doing for Palmer E, assuming I finish it any time soon, which I really can't predict right now. All Kiwi/Oz stuff, mixed like some kind of goddamn David Holmes try-hard.

NOTE 25/05/04: OKAY it is actually done now.

Also, if folks are curious I can email MP3 snippets and such. But not too much 'cos I'm on some 56k inter-slur.

Like Bobby Brown and some other dudes it's a NEW EDITION! 26/05/04

Rodriguez "At His Best" - local release "Best of Rodriguez" type thing - he only had two albums, but there's some unreleased extras on here too. And yes, "Sugar Man" is on here. Dude is like some embittered social outsider version of Jose Feliciano, with better songs. By my understanding you can forget about finding this if you're not in Australasia or South Africa - liking Rodriguez must be linked to the rugby gene or something.

McDonald & Giles S/T - Ah! If only having two copies of this was twice as good as having one copy. Anyway as it is I'm not really dying to rock doubles of "Birdman (involving The Inventor's Dream, The Worshop, Wishbone Ascension, Birdman Flies!, Wings In The Sunset, Birdman - The Reflection)" so you lucky lucky peoples can have a crack at my spare. Basically if you are even remotely into proggy-folky-but-with-tuff-drums stuff then this is totally necessary. My friend reckons it's like Beatles album but not by the Beatles but what we he know? Only all the chords to every Stone Temple Pilots song ever recorded - HOW YA LIKE ME NOW??!??!?!

"Electra Glide in Blue" OST - Featuring "The Chase", which is a classic funky chase theme. Plus a couple of other okay tracks and some great dialogue snippets.

Jesus Christ Superstar (The Australian One) - "First Australian Recording" according to the sleeve and they don't tell you much more than that. This is one of the better JCS recordings that I've heard. NB: This is NOT the purple and gray cover "original cast recording" one. I found that yesterday and it's pretty sucks.

Sergio Mendes "Vintage '74" - the funkiest Sergio LP I'm aware of. Versions of Superstition and Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing that have both been comped. Plus Marinheiro So which is hot. Same old la-la vocals though.

Renee Geyer Band "Ready To Deal" (RCA, 1975) - Aussie soul LP. Pretty good.

Mandingo - "The Music Of Mandingo" (World Record Club, 1980) - Comp of Mandingo's earlier material including all-time favourite "Black Rite". Very much essential if you don't have the albums.

The Soul Finders - "Soul Man" (RCA, late 60s) - largely instrumental, pretty funky session musician soul cash-in LP.

Malo - "Dos" (WB, 1972) - Malo's 2nd album. Malo are cool.

John Rowles - "Rowled Gold" (PYE, 1976) - comp of earlier material from NZ Tom Jones equivalent, John Rowles. Very surprisingly include four funky songs, "The Letter", "Vehicle", "Suzi Q", and best of all "(Yes We) Can Can". If you like Tom Jones funkier work you should enjoy this. Don't be shy, I have infinite copies.

V/A - "Loxene Golden Disc 1972" - NZ comp of industry awards finalists,featuring satanic lounge-pop favourite "Come to the Sabbat" by Timberjack. Plus some other half-decent material by Quincy Conserve and Chapta, and some bollocks. This copy includes helpful hand-written notes as to who won which award, and I'll be damned if the crappiest song on the LP didn't scoop the "Gloden" Disc.

V/A - "20 Studio One Hits" (NZBC, 1972) - NZ comp of tunes produced for a local pop music show. One funky rock song: "Show The World" by The Chapta. Parts of the remainder are tolerable.

Brian Auger Oblivion Express - "Straight Ahead" (CBS, 1974) - Decent soul jazz LP with what sounds like some degree of afro rock influence to my unschooled ear. The Auge gets on the organ and on the Rhodes and the "Freeman string machine" whatever that may be. Worst LP cover ever. A flying train zooming over the desert on an airborne track made out of piano keys = dumb. I hope the Auge was doing someone a favour.

Lighthouse - S/T (RCA, 1969) - Lighthouse records aren't nearly as hard to find as I once thought. But whatever - if you haven't got this, get it off me because it's really good.

Wing And A Prayer Fife And Drum Corps - "Babyface" Atlantic, 1976) - has a corny but entertaining disco version of Eleanor Rigby, arranged as a "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" rip-off. Otherwise, terrible disco medleys of show tunes - yeah like that was EVER necessary.

Pete Rock & CL Smooth - "Mecca And The Soul Brother" (Elektra, 1992) - reissue 2LP.

Jack Jones - "With Love From..." (RCA, 1972) - 2LP including that version of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" where you can pan it to one side and just listen to Jack and tough drums without the rest of the arrangement. Ah, whatever, I bet you could find this easy enough. Off you go.

John Cameron - "Jazzrock" (KPM 1097) - I'm a little undecided about getting rid of this. Try me!

what sort of thing are you after for this one?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (wooly @ Mar. 13 2004,11:10)]John Cameron - "Jazzrock" (KPM 1097) - I'm a little undecided about getting rid of this. Try me!

what sort of thing are you after for this one?  
      I dunno. Something on some DUTCH MOHAWKS type steelo. You know, like funky and hot and woah.

Eh. The main reason I'm considering unloading it is that I'm bored of that "library sound" right now... so probably not another library unless it's on some raggedy small group fuzz guitar thing.

Comment

John Rowles - "Rowled Gold"
        The Soul Finders - "Soul Man"
        Daly-Wilson Big Band "On Tour 73"
        Lighthouse - S/T

Formigo - I'd like a pop at these please (but can I have a trackie for the Lighthouse? I think I may have it). I'm going away on holiday in a week or so - would it be OK to hold the records for me until early April? Hopefully I'll have some Canuck heat to peddle on my return.
        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

weird my b&h have titles... perhaps they stopped after 2999
          ..Your sporadic midnight poster..

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (formigo @ Mar. 13 2004,10:19)]

V/A - "Loxene Golden Disc 1972"

for the traders out there I'd recommend adding this one in

Plaese hold the CCS, Gong & Rahsaan Roland for me & I'll muster together some heaters and a or

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (rolex baxter @ Mar. 14 2004,01:52)]V/A - "Loxene Golden Disc 1972"
              hey rolex,

that thing's everywhere up here in brisbane, both volumes, i never really found anything special on it? is there a reason to grab it??

peace.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (DJ Sheep @ Mar. 14 2004,11:48)]that thing's everywhere up here in brisbane, both volumes, i never really found anything special on it? is there a reason to grab it??
                well as always it'll come down to taste - the 72 Loxene includes  Blerta's 'dance allaround the world' which was a big tune in NZ & symbolises the hippy/free love movement of the time, and as Formigo notes it also has some other good bits

Loxene 71 has quincy conserve's 'ride the rain' which is a top tune, Bruno Lawerence wrote it and gave himself a starring part of the drums

neither is worth that much, but for a bob or two - sourcing these tunes on LP will cost quite a bit more if you can actually find them to start off with

Comment

I'd be possibly interested in the Malo and mandingo lps -I'll send the latest version of my list and see if anything floats yer boat.
                  Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Dear everybody:

Yes, that's fine.

...Chris Vulture: I haven't seen another copy of that "Moog Plays the Beatles" in ages (though I bet it's everywhere in Brisbane) - if you like I can clean up my existing copy as best I can and fire it at you, it's not great condition but it's listenable.

Comment

Formigo - sorry to piss you about but I no longer need this one:

still want the others tho' if that's OK.
                      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (LDJB @ Mar. 16 2004,09:02)]Formigo - sorry to piss you about but I no longer need this one:

still want the others tho' if that's OK.
                        Yeah that's fine.

Pull me some of them hot French Canadian 80s disco joints.

Woo.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (formigo @ Mar. 16 2004,02:26)]...Chris Vulture: I haven't seen another copy of that "Moog Plays the Beatles" in ages (though I bet it's everywhere in Brisbane)
                          you bet your fosh and chops it is mate!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (DJ Sheep @ Mar. 17 2004,13:47)]
                            Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (formigo @ Mar. 16 2004,02:26)]...Chris Vulture: I haven't seen another copy of that "Moog Plays the Beatles" in ages (though I bet it's everywhere in Brisbane)
                            you bet your fosh and chops it is mate!
                            That's fush and chups.

Fosh and chops is more Afrikaner or something.

Word.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (formigo @ Mar. 20 2004,12:55)]That's fush and chups.
                              I'll keep that in mind...

Comment

Working...
                              X