Ash-ra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash-ra

I bought the first Ash-Ra temple a while( on Ohr with foc ) ago but never really got Into it. I dont really feel like selling it so if anybody here has a good library record or any such thing to offer I am most likely to accept.
    All the Wolpertingers

Is this a joke or are you just trying to flush out gullible kraut rock fans?

Comment

Originally posted by zeit1972 View Post
      Is this a joke or are you just trying to flush out gullible kraut rock fans?
      WTF
      SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Do you know what the first Ash Ra Tempel LP is worth, Towny?

Comment

About 100 - 150 quid, I'd have thought.

Why?
          We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Or more, John.

Am I the only one who thinks it's rather unusual for someone with an LP that rare/valuable to offer it in trade for a library record? Am I missing the meaning of "library record"?

Sorry, I'm genuinely confused. It just seemed like some sort of joke.

Comment

Or more, John.

Am I the only one who thinks it's rather unusual for someone with an LP that rare/valuable to offer it in trade for a library record? Am I missing the meaning of "library record"?

There are plenty of library records worth a lot more than that!

Loads of the Italian ones were pressed in such tiny quantities - last time I saw 'Feelings' on ebay it went for over 1000 dollars, and there must be hundreds around the 150-200 quid mark.

Now, if you know anyone that wants to trade a copy of 'Trip, Flip Out, Meditation' for some rocksteady 45s.....

Comment

Am I missing the meaning of "library record"
                Probably. If you're just thinking in terms of monetary value there are plenty of library records of similar worth. Or, just maybe, Cacapo is after a record he'll appreciate in return for a record he doesn't.
                You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Or more, John.

here's an example that may clear up the confusion...

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildat...r=130122765511

Comment

So "library records" are a whole genre of collecting? What's the definition of a library record?

Comment

What's the definition of a library record?
                      Production music, i.e. not sold to the general public and therefore, by its nature, a little trickier to get hold of than most records. But I find using library as a term to describe a genre of music pretty nonsensical.
                      Last edited by Rich Hero; 17-10-2008, 02:53 PM. Reason: its not it's
                      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

So "library records" are a whole genre of collecting? What's the definition of a library record?

Yes, it's a whole genre of collecting. For some, it's a whole way of life. You've sort of jumped in here a bit, haven't you?

A basic definition would be that a Library record is made for commercial purposes, i.e. to accompany film, tv, radio productions. They are not generally released to the public and are often printed in very small numbers. Depending on the scarcity, personnel, label, style, some are ludicrously rare and very expensive.
                        SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

That popsike link didn't work for me since I'm not a paid member. I looked up "library record" on there though, and there were several expensive ones. I get the impression that the collecting of library records is a British/Euro thing that's mostly lost on us Americans (kinda like Northern Soul). I've never really heard of it before, so carry on!

Comment

I'm sure someone will beat me to this but....

Library records were made for use as incidental music on TV and film productions - they were never available to the general public, but were only distributed to the film and tv industry. The idea being that a TV producer, say, would listen to an LP, pick a track to use, and then license that one track for their programme.

They cover all genres of music, but the ones which attract most attention feature jazz, psychedelia, soul, funk, electronic and progressive rock. A lot of the records were produced in tiny numbers, from 1000 down to 200 in some cases.

There were many different library labels around the world - with the biggest concentration being in the UK, Germany and Italy. Many of them are still going.

Another point is that many were made by musicians earning some quick cash for a session - there are library LPs by the Pretty Things, Soft Machine, Michael Chapman, John Renbourn and loads more...

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                              You've sort of jumped in here a bit, haven't you?
                              Yeah, I guess so!

Thanks for the explanations though.

Comment

Working...
                              X