Traaaaaaayaadezzzz!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traaaaaaayaadezzzz!

UPDATE FOR 2005 ---- WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO??????

A few newbies and a few "old favourites" in the sense that they are "old" and also people "favour" ignoring them. But they're okay, honestly.

******* HOTSTEPPER, also: LYRICAL GANGSTER ************ (01/04/05 no joke homes)

A few more LPs.

Lou Rawls "Naturally" (1973) - Containing the live version of "Dead End Street" which is the strongest thing Lou Rawls ever did ever. Makes the studio version seem pretty limp. Don't be thinking that the production is weak because it's live, because in fact you will find it is awesome. Recommended.

Tom Scott & the L.A. Express S/T (1974) - contains the classic break on "Sneaking In The Back", also that whole track is pretty good. The rest is pretty listenable jazz/funk.

Illustration S/T (i forgot what year, early 70s) - white soul-rock band on Janus that sound a teensy bit like a tougher version of the Peddlers. i.e. there is emphasis on Hammond and dude sounds a little bit like Roy Phillips. At least two really good tracks on here, plus some others that have maybe a crap chorus and strong verse or something. Good horn arrangements too. Recommended.

******* THIS WILL NOT STOP UNTIL YOU TAKE THEM ALL ***** (25/03/05):

I've never been much a 7" collector but I've recently had a crack at a whole bunch and have consequently wound up with some doubles. To sum up, THIS SECTION IS ALL SEVENS.

CCS "Brother/Mister What You Can't Have I Can Get" (RAK, 1972) - Single off their second self-titled LP in the classic John Cameron style (tough horns, heaps of percussion etc). Seems to be patterned on "The Prowler" off his "Jazz-Rock" KPM. Flip is a non-album cut, really rather terrible cabaret style stuff about the black market on rationed goods in WWII (no shit).

Piero Umialani "Mah-nah-mah-na/You Tried To Warn Me" (CBS) - When girls start talking to you about how they love "that Muppets song" you can say YOU KNOW WHAT BABY THAT'S ACTUALLY A COVER FROM THE SOUNDTRACK "SWEDEN HEAVEN AND HELL". Then flip THA OH-GEE SHIT and watch them melt. I got like a thousand bastard children now so obviously this is far too powerful to remain in my hands. Flip is a typical Italian soundtrack bossa nova. Label is CBS but it says "AVCO EMBASSY RELEASE" on it too so I really don't know what's up.

Kris Kristofferson "I May Smoke Too Much/Late Again (Gettin' Over You)" (Monument, 1974) - B-SIDE COUNTRY BLOW UP! It's a slow burner with Kris mumbling along about his hangover and featuring funky non-country instrumentation. OH, YOU'D BE SURPRISED, mate. But I got a feeling no-one is going to feel me on this one until I build a whole mixtape around it.

Bill Cosby with the Bunions Bradford Band "Hikki Burr (pts 1 & 2)" (MCA) - funk 45 style cut with Bill Cosby reciting recipes over the top or something. This is not the later version of Quincy Jones' "Smackwater Jack", this one is R-A-W spells "raw".

Bill Cosby "Yes, Yes, Yes/Ben" (Capitol, 1976) - "The Cos" hits back against those who said he was OUT THE GAME. A-side is an amusing and highly accurate piss-take of Love Unlimted Orchestra type tunes. "Ben" is a jazz-funk cut with more slurring and carry-on from Bill, pretty sure it's been sampled but my memory fails.

Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 "Aza Branca/Sometimes In Winter" (A&M) - Wordless vocals and tough drums on "Aza Branca", one of Sergio's funkier ones. It later showed up on the Brasil '77 LP "Pais Tropical". The flip is more typical granny-pleasing stuff.

BRAND SPANKING LIKE A NANNY THAT HATES ADVERTISING (10/02/2005):

Don Burrows Quartet "Live at Sydney Opera House" - Double LP live set from Oz's main flautist, with jazz of various varieties and at least one funky track. Includes extensive notes on the unique architecture of the Opera House so you can act like you know. People were totally creaming themselves over the Opera House in '74.

STUFF THAT'S ABOUT TWO DAYS AWAY FROM IT'S EXPIRY DATE AND YOU'RE THINKING "YO, I COULD GET THIS, BUT I GOTTA REMEMBER TO EAT IT TOMORROW AND NOT JUST PUT IT IN THE FRIDGE":

Renee Geyer Band "Ready to Deal" - decent Aussie soul, mid-70s sound, clavinets and shit.

John Rowles "Rowled Gold" - cheapo NZ comp with his three funky tunes (that I know of). Rowles is like a genetically superior Tom Jones - one time Elvis spat on him I think. Free to you with another trade I reckon.

Allen Toussaint "Southern Nights" (1975) - two great songs on this - "Last Train" and "Worldwide" - and the rest isn't bad. "Worldwide" is on RJD2's "Poorboy Lover Megamix" if you need a reference. Maybe I'll keep it so I can rock doubles on the bit in Last Train when he goes "choo choo".

STUFF THAT'S BEEN IN THE PIE WARMER TOO LONG AND NOW THE CELLOPHANE HAS TURNED BROWN:

Electra Glide in Blue OST - who'd have thought a 70s movie would have a funky track called "The Chase"?

The Soul Finders "Soul Man" - NYC sessioners do the Memphis sound. Okay it's phoney as hell but it's a good listen. Also: break.

Malo "Dos" - Latin rock. Malo are good. I wish I was offering you a copy of "Evolution" instead so you could get "Street Man" - maybe next time.

Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77 "Vintage 74" - Sergio's funkiest album? I wouldn't like to make a big call like that, but signs point to yes.

HOT DIGGING TIP: SOME PRIVATE PRESS LPs ARE REALLY NOT VERY GOOD!!!!!!! keep your head up eh
    Last edited by formigo; 27-04-2005, 07:31 AM. Reason: NOO REKKIDS oh oh oh

Oh yeah I've still got mad copies of "Rowled Gold" if anyone wants them too...

Oh, go on.

Comment

WATCH OUT i have added one records

And deleted the gone.

Comment

Just posting to bump this thread up as "new/updated", maybe that's not necessary in the new forum software, I dunno.

Also, I enjoy the illusion that my trades thread is active.

Comment

Originally posted by formigo
          Nucleus "Elastic Rock"
          Wouldn't mind a pop at this'n, let me see if I have anything for you..
          Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Formigo - have you still got that 'Studio 1 Hits vol 2' NZ comp anywhere? I'm still interested if you have!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames
              Formigo - have you still got that 'Studio 1 Hits vol 2' NZ comp anywhere? I'm still interested if you have!
              Yep, got it right here.

If you've got any cheap and cheerful local curiousities for trade, let me know.

Comment

Might well have - don't s'pose you need 'Two Generations' by the Simon Sound/Sid Phillips, do you? Just got a spare of that one!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames
                  Might well have - don't s'pose you need 'Two Generations' by the Simon Sound/Sid Phillips, do you? Just got a spare of that one!
                  I would definitely say yes if I didn't already have it.

But I do.

Hit me up in the PMs eh... you too Vibra...

"orse"

Comment

really would like the two generations lp
                    swap for a stratusphunk ,, if you need it ,,pm me..
                    or a tasman connection
                    whatever
                    got lots others ..

Comment

What's Stratusphunk? Sounds interesting!

Send me a list via PM, and I'm sure we could come to some arrangement!

Will sort out a list for Formigo too.

Comment

ADDENDUM!

I can (probably) pick up a copy of Paladin S/T if anyone wants it.

Been languishing at my local for a while at a price slightly to steep to grab without a likely trade in the offing.

Much better than that other stupid one with the robot horse.

Comment

up to the top!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you can get "GANGSTER VIBRATIONS".

Also someone can have a copy of Mark Williams' cover of "House for Sale" if they want though I personally wouldn't admit to it myself.

HOME AND AWAY WITH YOU EACH DAY

Comment

"i say me ready to return, all the wicked man skin a get burn"

More specifically: A Moog/Beatles LP that I forgot to post up before (see top).

Comment

Hey,

I'm interested in the following:
                              John Schroeder/Jack Laurence Orch. "Gangster Vibrations"

Nucleus "Elastic Rock"

Stan Kenton "7.5 on the Richter Scale"

Got my trades up at nutsons.com/trades let me know if you find something.

Comment

Working...
                              X