Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steeldrumfunk

Alright fellas!

I'm looking for a steeldrum tune by the Panatics. The track in question is "Cars" otherwise better known as the classic by Gary Newman. The odd one has been known to appear on ebay but i've hit a dead end! ££$$ waiting now people..

I don't think its actually by the Panatics, is it? I thought that was bullshit when that guy auctioned it, I think its by someone else (don't know who)... If you find one, let me know, I've been chasing this and coming up with fuck all for months, not even a name.

Comment

Yep i thought that as well but had nothing else to go on. They did have a one more copy of which i sent them some silly amount. They said it was sealed and asked me if i wanted them to open it and check for flaws. A week later they mailed me again saying it was the wrong record, some mix up at the pressing plant and all that bullshit. I reckon the bloke had a better offer from some Jap with bottomless pockets.

Comment

i reckon that it probably isn't really so hard as all that. Otherwise they wouldn't have had to cover it up. Djs cover stuff up, not sellers, who are usually more interested in exposing cover-up so more people are interested. Its just that no-one seems to know which fucking shit 80s steel drum LP its on. It is wierd though that no-one seems to know.

But I'll bet its not the panatics, otherwise he wouldn't have covered up the top half of the label.

Comment

I've still got the print out of that auction lying around somewhere. Might have to email the winning bidder to see if he can open a can of worms...

Comment

its already been done... not by me, by a friend. No joy at all, not even a reply. Unless said friend is keeping the info under his hat (which I have to say is not completely impossible).

Comment

Just looked anyhows and i've stashed it away, always worth another go i spose. Pastafrolla the people behind the auction told me it was from the 70's. Straight away i thought they were on a cover up seeing as Gary Newman wrote the song in the 80's did he not? Then lots of bullshit emails followed when i asked where the band originated from...

Comment

cars came out in 1980 (?). For my money its 80s British indy label steelband festival nonsense.

Comment

Fin, did you ever get to the bottom of this??? Still been hunting, STILL NO JOY!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (fin @ Oct. 19 2004,21:32)]i reckon that it probably isn't really so hard as all that. Otherwise they wouldn't have had to cover it up. Djs cover stuff up, not sellers, who are usually more interested in exposing cover-up so more people are interested. Its just that no-one seems to know which fucking shit 80s steel drum LP its on. It is wierd though that no-one seems to know.

But I'll bet its not the panatics, otherwise he wouldn't have covered up the top half of the label.
                    Sellers cover stuff if they know that no one else knows it and it's rare. It means any future copies be more likely to head their way.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] ]Fin, did you ever get to the bottom of this??? Still been hunting, STILL NO JOY!
                      Why not try asking Shadow? I'm assuming it's the same steeldrum cover of 'Cars' that's on his 'Diminishing Returns' mix?
                      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (fin @ Oct. 21 2004,01:20)]cars came out in 1980 (?).
                        Are you suggesting that Gary Numan actually ripped off an obscure steel band tune from the 70s and had a worldwide smash with it? Nobody had ever heard of Tainted Love until Soft Cell covered it...

Actually, it was Shadow himself who announced it was by The Panatics when he mentioned it on the Gilles Peterson show. Hmmm...
                        Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (The Divine One @ Dec. 03 2004,11:11)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (fin @ Oct. 21 2004,01:20)]cars came out in 1980 (?).
                          Are you suggesting that Gary Numan actually ripped off an obscure steel band tune from the 70s and had a worldwide smash with it? Nobody had ever heard of Tainted Love until Soft Cell covered it...  

Actually, it was Shadow himself who announced it was by The Panatics when he mentioned it on the Gilles Peterson show. Hmmm...  
                          No. I'm saying the steel band effort is definitely 80s. And my experience of 80s steelband records is that theyare uniformly dire, with very very occasional bright patches, of which I suspect this is one. Still reckon it might well be british.  

I don't think shadow would have given the right name out on radio one. He even declined to give names for the things bootlegged on that bbe comp he did. If he said panatics, thats probably where the sellers name for it came from. I seem to remember that the word panatics featured somewhere on the part of the label that was visible in the scan, and it clearly wasn't the bands name. (I think that there are a Panatics though, but I bet they're not the right band.)

oh, look, here they are...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....me=WDVW

Comment

Not that i know F$"K all about researching records but cant you trace it back through the label it was released on? Cos it was clearly visible on the scan...I've tried a few searches and come up with nish! Anybody got any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                            X